First test results- new member, first time opening pool alon

itsme_bernie

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2013
New Jersey
Hello Everyone

I thought I would post my initial results. I am going to Anthony Sylvan Pool center tomorrow to bring a sample as well, to double check myself.

I purchased the TF100 "XL" test kit. This is my first time using any pool test kit. I have an engineering background, but that was long ago!

My numbers, as far as I can tell are as follows:

Chlorine (don't know if it's FC, CC, or TC):

PH

TA
70-80

Tested positive for Calcium. (This is the only test I did not understand, so no specific numbers)

CYA

There is still some leaf matter in the pool. This should be finally gone tomorrow morning. There was quite a bit when I first opened. I think the lawn guys (fired now for other reasons) blew a lot under the cover.

I used the Anthony Sylvan Pool opening kit, for the size of my pool, including "Quick Shock", "Pro 60 Algaecide", and "Les Iron".

I also added what I believe to be the correct amount of DE to the nearest skimmer to the filter. But I did this after running the pool filter and above chefs for about 4 hours. (I opened the filter first, and it looked nice inside!)

MY TEST RESULTS, above, are approximately 24 hours after the chems were added.

Heeeeeere we GOOoooo!! :)

Bernie

Re: First test results- new member, first time opening pool

http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html explains the tests in much greater detail.

Also, lookee here: videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit

If that pH reading is correct, you need to fix that quick with some borax or soda ash. And get enough bleach in there to raise it to about 6 FC. Wait a half hour with the pump running between the two. http://www.poolcalculator.com/can figure out how much of what to add.

Thank Richard! Thanks Isaac!

So the number I get using the TF100 kit is FC? .5? Zoiks!

I am trying to source some Borax around here.. Not at Costco- I have to try supermarket next, at least for now.. Thanks so much guys!

I'll watch that video tonight!

Anything I should use in a pinch tonight if I can't find borax quickly enough?

Bernie

itsme_bernie said:
Thank Richard! Thanks Isaac!

So the number I get using the TF100 kit is FC? .5? Zoiks!

I am trying to source some Borax around here.. Not at Costco- I have to try supermarket next, at least for now.. Thanks so much guys!

I'll watch that video tonight!

Anything I should use in a pinch tonight if I can't find borax quickly enough?

Bernie
Check Target or Walmart. If you can't find Borax, look for washing soda. NOT detergent or soap, but it should be in that aisle. Alternately, there's always the pool store, which will be happy to sell you something like "pH increaser" at inflated prices, but at least you get to keep the neat plastic canister. They might also call it Soda Ash or Sodium Carbonate.

Update- I went to the pool supply for now- it was closer to my house. I am taking your advice seriously to take care of this quickly!

Bernie

I added eight pounds of sodium bicarbonate tonight, and will follow with another 8 pounds tomorrow morning. The guy at the pool supply said it was a good idea.
I also added two pounds of "shock" again.

I will post my new readings tomorrow morning.

Funny thing is, it is just starting to pour rain! I don't know what this will do. My guess is not too much.

I really appreciate Pool School, and BBB for Beginners. You guys are very organized here at TroubleFreePool forum.

You have also made it very easy to find everything. I am doing my best to absorb all this before I ask!

Bernie

itsme_bernie said:
I added eight pounds of sodium bicarbonate tonight, and will follow with another 8 pounds tomorrow morning. The guy at the pool supply said it was a good idea.
I also added two pounds of "shock" again.

I will post my new readings tomorrow morning.

Funny thing is, it is just starting to pour rain! I don't know what this will do. My guess is not too much.

I really appreciate Pool School, and BBB for Beginners. You guys are very organized here at TroubleFreePool forum.

You have also made it very easy to find everything. I am doing my best to absorb all this before I ask!

Bernie
Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Carbonate? BIG difference, believe it or not. One will raise TA a lot and have small effect on pH, the other will have large effect on pH and some effect on TA. If it was bicarbonate, the pool store gotcha again.

Thank you Richard-

And- I apologize! I listened to what he said and forgot to read it as I left.

It is actually Sodium Hydrogen Bicarbonate.

I actually couldn't help but do more tests tonight- so here are my current results, three hours and a small rainstorm after adding 8 pounds of Sodium Hydrogen Bicarbonate and 2 pounds of "shock":

CL-BR
5.0 (wow- up by 4.5!)
(I still don't know which CL test this is? CC? FC? It is the little blue kit inside the TF100 kit)

PH

TA

CYA

The pool has been visually clear to my estimation, and I don't notice any green. I will know more about that tomorrow.

Bernie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You've been pool-stored again.

8 lbs of Baking Soda shouldn't have had that much effect on your pool, according to the pool calculator. So either the test was wrong, your pool is not as big as you think, or both. You don't need the next 8 lbs, your TA is actually slightly high, and pH is in the safe zone. pH will climb now, so don't mess with it any more.

Somehow, you got lucky. What shouldn't have fixed you up, did. I wouldn't count on beginner's luck holding up forever. :wink:

And what kind of "shock" did you put in? Any of the dry forms of chlorine add something to the water besides chlorine. Back to Pool School! :whip:

Sorry Richard -

I know the pool is 20,000 gallons- but-

You are correct. I shouldn't have added more. And they suggested I add MORE again! And THEY thought it looked fine besides that >:/

Sadly, I just saw your message, and I was at the pool store first.
I WILL LOOK HERE FIRST FROM NOW ON.

This morning's levels according to the pool supply computer test:

FC

TC

CC

PH

TA

CYA

They recommended MORE SHB, and I did it three hours ago! 14lbs! (11am)

MY reading as of 1pm

CL-BR

PH

TA
230 !!!

CYA

I am an Rear for even listening to them. NEVER AGAIN.
Well, a few more days before anyone swims, and I have the heater to get running, so I can fix this.

Back to pool school, and the Poolcalculator! No more pool supply!

Bernie

Even though it is the last thing I need right now, I found the Borax! Much less than pool store. I got a bunch to stock up.

I will check the levels again tonight. I am having a hard time using the pool calculator with my iPad, but I'll have my laptop back tonight.

Bernie

New Numbers 6pm 6-3-13

CL-BR
5++++

PH

TA

CYA

I finally figured out the CC, FC, TC:

FC
11 !

CC

TC

Now frantically looking at pool school and pool calculator!

Bernie

What does the water look like?? Photos will help a TON. Your numbers don't look bad, woth the TA a bit on the high side.

Welcome to the site!

Really?? Wow I was worried, but I know nothing.

The water looks lovely and perfectly clear since day two, after the initial shock powder and anti-algae.

Been perfectly clear the whole time since.

I just purchased the Pool Calculator App so I can customize to my pool and leave it..

You think my numbers look Okay?

Bernie

Here are two pics- I am sort of new to this, and can't tell if it is crystal clear or a little green/blue?

yteramah.jpg

eveqyze4.jpg

Bernie

The number that worries me will be your TA. Your PH will swing until you lower that number. The rest look good still, and water looks clear.

Thanks so much Leebo!

This Pool Calculator App is amazing!

Only thing is I don't see how much acid to add to bring the TA down.

And my PH is already only 7.2.

I don't have any water features to "airate" as recommended.

Bernie

One of the first things I'd do is to retest the TA. I've seen numbers ranging from 80's up to the 200's. A HUGE swing in numbers here. This is one of the two tests where the SpeedStir is a HUGE help. The other is the calcium test. The Calcium test is another I would run just to get a ballpark number. IF your TA is high, even with vinyl pool, you still run a risk of scaling. Running the calcium test will just allow us to rule out worrying about that issue. Had you had a plaster pool, and very high TA then we'd take a totally different approach.

Now.....
If after you retest your TA it is still high...and the results from your calcium test is somewhat low (below 200) then you need to work on lowering your TA. This is a process much like shocking the pool is. There is no "dump this in" answer to this issue. Whenever your PH goes up to around 7.8 add some acid to lower it back down to 7.2. Your TA will slowly come down as you repeat this process.
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Be warned however......it will take alot of acid to lower this number and to keep your PH/TA in check. I would start with retesting your TA levels once again before you worry about anything.

In the mean time however......the bottom of the pool looks dirty. Don't forget to brush and vacuum often! With clear water all that stuff on the bottom really shows. :D Ya.....we like to nit-pick here don't we.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.