Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salty taste.

1. Back To Top    #1

Salty taste.

I had some people over this past week and a few of them says the water tastes a little salty but didn't think anything about it because they were all a little intoxicated. My wife had a friend of hers over yesterday afternoon and they said the same thing. I can taste it a little but not like what they described. My SWG says salt is at 3100-3200, it changes some days but has been around that since I last added salt 4 weeks ago. Is this normal? I have some salt test strips but I have never used them and from reading don't think they are very accurate.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salty taste.

I'd check it with the strips. Your cell could be reading incorrectly.

Some people are more sensitive to the taste as well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Perfectly normal.

"Your pool tastes a little salty, Kyle."

A couple of responses would work.

Response #1

"Yes, I have a saltwater pool. There is salt in the water because of this."

Response #2

"Then quit peeing in my pool."

4. Back To Top    #4

Normal. Some people are just more sensitive.

You dumped how many bags of salt in the pool? Of course it's salty!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Salty taste.

Ok thanks. That was my response " Well it is a salt water pool". I just wanted to check after 4 people said it tasted more salty than other salt water pools they have been in. I will check it with the strips to see how far they differ.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

6. Back To Top    #6

No one ever says my pool taste salty unless I tell them it is a salt water pool. Then the questions start!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have had salt levels over 4200 at times and no one ever complained of it tasting salty. But then maybe my friends are smart enough to not drink from the pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

You might do a test and see what your levels are.

I do notice a saltiness to my pool and others don't often comment. I tend to agree that some are more sensitive to it than others.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't think I have ever had our water taste like salt. I don't drink it of course but I am sure I get splashed enough to notice if it were salty. I bet if those people didn't know it was a salt pool they wouldn't have noticed.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

10. Back To Top    #10

Even non SWCG pools can taste a little salty. Salt is left behind in the water as sodium hypochlorite is consumed in the water.