Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trying to balance water

1. Back To Top    #1

trying to balance water

I have a 4 ft deep 24 ft diameter above ground vinyl pool. I opened to clear water and immediately poured a jug of bleach to shock. the next day my numbers were 10 FC, < 0.5 CC, < 7.0 pH, and 0? TA. I don't have the reagents for the CYA test right now. I was confused by the TA test as the water turned red immediately instead of green. I noticed corrosion on the screws which confirmed the low pH reading (bright yellow on the test). I have added about 425 oz. of borax and still haven't left the yellow. I've added over 20 drops of base demand to get the test color to change to a red. After adding the borax, I'm now registering 20 TA. Is there anything else I should be doing besides just adding more borax?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: trying to balance water

If TA turns red right away TA is zero and your PH is dangerously low. You should raise TA to at least 50 right away, give it an hour to mix in with the pump running, test PH, and adjust PH to at least 7.2 from where ever it is at that point.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: trying to balance water

You should be reading Pool School. Link's up on the right top of every page.

To raise TA, you need baking soda. Poolcalculator can do the math to tell you how much. Buy it at the grocery store, Costco, wherever.

That should fix the TA and stabilize the pH some so when you try to adjust it, it will stay put.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!