Educate me PH & TA level

hpdad

Apr 4, 2013
South California
Those two give me headache.

When PH is high (8.0), TA is high also (100), I add MA to lower the PH and TA. Then aerate to bring back the PH level. Everything is fine until few days they both PH and TA go up again. I repeat the procedure again, then again.

What change them up so frequently?

There are many things that can change PH, but TA tends to be fairly stable unless you add a baking soda or a lot of acid. However, if you are adding water to the pool regularly to top off evaporation and there is high TA in your fill water, the TA in the pool would trend upwards.

hpdad said:
Those two give me headache.

When PH is high (8.0), TA is high also (100), I add MA to lower the PH and TA. Then aerate to bring back the PH level. Everything is fine until few days they both PH and TA go up again. I repeat the procedure again, then again.

What change them up so frequently?
Measure your tap water TA. I bet it's high. Mine was 220 last time I checked. It's such a common thing for me that I know how much acid to pour in for every inch of water I add.

linen said:
That is not very high TA tap water...how much are you having to replace?

Any chance you have been using much baking soda, washing soda or borax in the pool?

Not much, I top off about 1" to 2" on 15 ft pool every 3 to 4 days.

Since put it up last month, the only adjustment was added MA and Chlorine.

That does not explain your TA rising issue...your TA would only go up by ~ 1ppm per week from your fill water (assuming about 3 inch water refill each week).

That is a little higher rate of evaporation then at least I experience...but someone in your area might have a better idea, since evaporation rates are different due to RH, Temp, and wind differences.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.