Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump keeps losing prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump keeps losing prime

We have an in ground finite pool. Underground plumbing located approximately 40 feet away. Triton filter, 2" piping. Afternoons pump flow priesthood at full force and drops to about half flow after several hours and continues at 1/2 - 1/3 flow. Pressure seems higher than normal on the filter. The baskets are clean so nothin is clogging or blocking TH flow that w can see. SUGGESTIONS???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump keeps losing prime

It sounds like you may need to clean your filter, it would help us if you would put your pool description in your signature (see your profile settings) like I have mine.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry the Kindle was substituting words. It's a 36,000 gallon gunite pool w a Triton 3.75 motor. We do backslash regularly. Do you mean take it apart and put in New sand?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, backwash is fine, Check the pressure gauge on the filter, see if it goes up while flow goes down (turn off pump and make sure gauge goes to 0, it may be stuck and need replacing) If pressure goes up on the filter while flow goes down you may have something growing in your pool. Do you have one of the suggested test kits, and if so can you post a full set of test numbers?

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the resultsChlorine 3.0, PH 7.2, Alkalanity - couldn't get a reading. Stopped adding drops after adding 15.
    Thanks for your help on this. Bill

6. Back To Top    #6

What test are you using (is that chlorine level FC or TC?), and do you know your CYA level?

7. Back To Top    #7

What is your clean filter pressure and where is your pressure when when you are at that low flow condition?
    What is the pressure reading when the pump is off?

Do you have air in your pump basket?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

We redid the tests. Chlorine OTO test reads above 3 maybe close to 4 or 5. ph is 7.2. Total Alkalinity is 80 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

Last year the pressure was 25. This year the pressure is 30. At half flow, it is bouncing between 34-36.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cawwjw
    We have an in ground finite pool. Underground plumbing located approximately 40 feet away. Triton filter, 2" piping. Afternoons pump flow priesthood at full force and drops to about half flow after several hours and continues at 1/2 - 1/3 flow. Pressure seems higher than normal on the filter. The baskets are clean so nothin is clogging or blocking TH flow that w can see. SUGGESTIONS???
    Is the water green or cloudy? Maybe the filter's just doing what it's supposed to do?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

This is almost certainly a sign that you need to backwash and something is likely growing in the pool. The OTO test only tells you total chlorine, it does not break it down into FC and CC like the FAS-DPD chlorine test (elevated CC is a sign you have something growing in your pool), also without your CYA level we can't know what our target / and minimal FC levels should be.

Ike

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks we will getthwatertested. The water is very clear though but we will heed your warning. Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

30 psi is pretty high...what model pump and exactly what model triton filter do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.