Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acrylic Spa Maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Acrylic Spa Maintenance

Hola, I've spent the past month reading up about my pool and how to maintain it. I've purchased a K-2006 and I have become pretty aware of the chemicals for the pool and how to change things w/ the calculator. I was curious if there are any basics for maintaining my acrylic spa? I currently sanitize it with bromine through the spa frog in-line system that came with the spa. Like the pool, I have found myself buying tons of Brand name products to do simple things like raise bromine, lower pH, etc. Are there basic chemicals like the BBB method that I can use in an acrylic spa?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acrylic Spa Maintenance

You can use BBB (including bleach) in a spa. If you want to keep using Bromine, that's fine (since Bromine is known to be a little better at higher temperatures), but I'd ditch the frog and just use a floater. Bleach would still be cheaper. You can use Muriatic Acid to lower the PH as well.

Here is the cheaper way to do Bromine without the Frog how-do-i-use-bromine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t102.html
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will check out that long thread. Like the pool previously, I was using test strips to test the chemicals, but I've grown weary of those, especially since I've moved over to the K-2006 for the pool. What would be the best way to test bromine in the spa? My kit only does chlorine.
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Your kit will also measure bromine. The Free Chlorine part of the test measures Total Bromine. Just multiply your chlorine result by 2.25 to get bromine units. You would not use the R-0003 since the CC part of the test does not apply.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"