Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PSI is lower than past years

1. Back To Top    #1

PSI is lower than past years

The PSI reads 10 on my gauge. I have always hovered around 14-15 in the past. I read the eyes and there placement might have something to do with this. Is that true? Another person thought it might need more sand in the filter. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,
    Chris
    16' x 32' 20,000 gallon in ground pool

Sand Filter

Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PSI is lower than past years

Welcome to the forum.

The most common cause of odd pressure readings is a bad gauge. Does yours go to zero when the pump is off?

Pressure will go down if water can't get to the pump or if the pump is dirty. Check that you don't have any air in the pump strainer basket, then shut the pump off and stick your finger into the outlet of the strainer basket housing to see if you've got debris on the impeller.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The gauge goes to zero when the pump is off. I checked the pump and cleaned out near the impellor. My skimmer basket is broken however. Could this have anything to do with it. I picked up a new one at a pool supply and it was too small. What about the eyes and how they're directed. Is that a possible reason for the low pressure?

Sand Filter

Vinyl liner

4. Back To Top    #4

The direction of the eyeballs won't make a difference in the pressure but missing one or having larger will.
    A partially clogged impeller will also lower the pressure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cscafidi
    The gauge goes to zero when the pump is off. I checked the pump and cleaned out near the impellor. My skimmer basket is broken however. Could this have anything to do with it. I picked up a new one at a pool supply and it was too small. What about the eyes and how they're directed. Is that a possible reason for the low pressure?
    Are there parts of the basket missing? They may have gotten lodged in the impeller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

No the basket is just split no parts came off it.

Sand Filter

Vinyl liner

7. Back To Top    #7

If the basket is broken to where it lets debris through, you could have something in the impeller.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Could be a worn out o-ring on the defuser or another location on the suction side. I would think you would see a water leak or air in the pump basket. Start with the simple stuff first.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters