Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a 2 pump setup.

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a 2 pump setup.

Am I safe to assume the pump for the spa is a booster pump for the jets primarily and not for circulation like the pool pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a 2 pump setup.

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds about right. In almost all cases when you have two pumps, one does general circulation in the pool, and can also be used to heat the spa. While the other runs a separate loop that only powers the spa jets. However, there are other ways it might be setup, though they are rather less likely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Please add a picture of your plumbing setup if you would like further help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies. sorry been working lately. will get pics up shortly. about 6PM EST.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Please add a picture of your plumbing setup if you would like further help.
    as requested

when i turn the jandy on the left to have spa and pool open from the filter return water does come the tube in the center of the spa and fills it.

the pump i have is a pinnacle 1 1/2 hp. cannibalized it to keep the pool clean as the pool pump was burnt out when we bought the place.

6. Back To Top    #6

So did you have a question?

Generally, you do not run suction from both the pool and spa. Usually the circulation suction is does only from the pool and the return is set with some to the spa which then spills back into the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    So did you have a question?

Generally, you do not run suction from both the pool and spa. Usually the circulation suction is does only from the pool and the return is set with some to the spa which then spills back into the pool.
    yes i did. the question was could i use the pump i have running now for the pool to circulate water from the spa and spill over into the pool? if i am right, what you just said means i can. right?
    also, some advice on what to do with the spa as of right now as well. as you can see it has a layer of sediment..

thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

To get spillover, you just have to return more water to the spa that you are sucking out. Just close the suction from the spa and add some return to the spa and it should spill over.

To clean it up, put full suction and return to the spa and brush the dirt into the drain. (or try to vacuum the dirt up is you have one ... might have to be hooked to the pool skimmer though instead of the spa suction).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

am i okay to drain out everything after vac? or is there a certain level you dont want to drain the spa to? i did plan on vac-ing the dirt and such out with the skimmer and hose.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you put the return to the spa while the suction is from the skimmer/hose, the spa will not drain ... the pool will some, but the vacuuming should go quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

oh yes i didnt plan on having the suction and return going at the same time. sorry about that. and after i vac it out im good to open the return and fill the spa, correct?
    i have staining from i guess absolutely no circ for who knows how long on teh spa walls. would a earthstone do the job well? or would i have to go to chemical means? will go snap a pic right now.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not sure what you mean ... if you do like I said, that spa will NOT drain in the first place.

Rub a trichlor tablet on the stain, if it lightens, it is organic and it will lighten by maintaining elevated FC levels
    if not
    Rub some vitamin C on the stain, if it lightens, it is metal and you may have to do an AA treatment
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by newpoolguy352
    oh yes i didnt plan on having the suction and return going at the same time. sorry about that. and after i vac it out im good to open the return and fill the spa, correct?
    i have staining from i guess absolutely no circ for who knows how long on teh spa walls. would a earthstone do the job well? or would i have to go to chemical means? will go snap a pic right now.