Pool loses about two inches of water. Big expense looming?

Jun 29, 2012
So my pool loses about 2 inches of water when it's filled up to the recommended level so the skimmers can work properly. Once it loses about 2 inches I stop losing the water. I will be calling the pool companies this upcoming week but I wanted to get thoughts from the experts around here who have had prior experience in this. Am I looking at a major repair? Will keep everyone posted.

Re: Pool loses about two inches of water. Big expense loomin

I would start looking inside the skimmers first.

If you don't see anything that looks funny, try this when the water is maybe an inch or less above the point where it stops leaking. Go out after the pump's been off a while so the water is still - maybe even early morning. Then gently drip some food coloring around close to the perimeter inside the skimmer. Bleach will oxidize the color away, but I'd use blue, personally, just in case. If a blob of coloring starts to move towards a particular spot, you'll know where to start looking.

There's a bunch of videos on youtube. I don't have a favorite, you'll have to watch a few yourself.

Re: Pool loses about two inches of water. Big expense loomin

If the water doesn't get below the skimmer then it could be the skimmer or it could be near the equipment pad. Look for wet places near the plumbing.
If you have separate skimmer and main drain plumbing you can isolate the skimmer line and install a plug in the skimmer and see if it still leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.