Wait awhile?

May 26, 2013
We've maintained our pool for 25 years with the help of good pool dealers and their employees and never had a problem until we put on a mesh security winter cover several years ago and each year after that it's taken awhile to clear (Next winter I'm adding a winter cover). Upon opening pool this year it was super cloudy and would not clear. For the first time I heard "chlorine block" and with a test strip showing low to no stabilizer, I couldn't get CYA tested by pool store and they argued with me about adding any. They did however help me get the alkalinity up from 58 with $176.00 of chemicals. However the chlorine didn't stay. I added their 16 gal of chlorine then after finally getting them to sell me CYA added 1 lb and 4 gal of chlorine. Finally the pool started clearing and today it is clear. Today I also received the TF-100 kit and got the following readings
FC 1.5
CC 1.5
PH 7.2
TA 150 (before turning off pump it was at 120)
CH 220
CYA 20

Now should I just wait a few days and let pucks provide chlorine and stabilizer and just keep watching?

Welcome to TFP.

You should not wait. The fact that you have 1.5 CC's says that you need to perform the shock process. Don't add any more CYA. Take the pucks out and shock with liquid per the instructions in pool school.

With several readings of Pool School, you'll learn to be able to buy many of the identical chemicals the pool store sells, except at a significant savings.

You said you spent $176 at the pool store and ended up increasing your alkalinity. I plugged your numbers into The Pool Calculator and it would normally take 33 lbs of baking soda to raise your alkalinity from 58 to 150. Costco sells the exact same "Alkalinity Increaser" as 14 lb bags of baking soda for something like $11 a bag. If you bought 3 bags that would have covered your need and would have cost around $33 total. $33 vs $176; you see the benefits of Pool School in your wallet pretty quickly.

Wow you all are fast! Had to leave last night so didn't get back until after early morning so checked and
CC .5
FC .5

After cleaning and back washing added another gal of chlorine (also part of that $176.00 but if nothing else, I learned about you all and alternatives). Since pool is clear, put on solar cover and will check in the morning
Managed those many years without trouble until the mesh security winter cover allowed all this great atmosphere to mess with the balance the last 5 years. Never again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.