Vacation algae

swanny297 said:
Would also suggest lowering pH to around 7.2 first and then beginning the Shock Process since you have visible signs of algae. Once you begin the Shock Process, do not test for pH until you have passed all criteria and your FC drops below 10 ppm. You will also need to add bleach to reach the FC target needed for shocking as the SWG is not designed to crank out shock-level FC.

Thanks started shocking Sunday Am looking better just thankful it wasnt to bad going to vacuum and backwash tonight keeping FC around 24 any other levels I should be checking while in Shock mode? When it is clear do I allow the chlorine level to drop to the level on the CYA chart and than test all parameters again? I am thinking my FC dropped on vacation and maybe my guest wasn't measuring right.

swanny297 said:
Thanks started shocking Sunday Am looking better just thankful it wasnt to bad going to vacuum and backwash tonight keeping FC around 24 any other levels I should be checking while in Shock mode? When it is clear do I allow the chlorine level to drop to the level on the CYA chart and than test all parameters again? I am thinking my FC dropped on vacation and maybe my guest wasn't measuring right.

Only check FC and CC while shocking. pH will be inaccurate, and nothing else will change.

As for maintenance, do not let your FC level drop until you pass all three criteria. See Pool School for a refresher.

Then, yes, test one more time, and use the chart.

I have passed 2 of the 3 my water is nice blue just not crystal clear is this because I have a sand filter? Is it safe to stop if I pass the overnight test again tomorrow if I am not perfectly clear or do I need to keep going? I just hate to keep adding bleach if the only reason it isn't clear is because of the sand filter I am maintaining FC levels though out the day as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.