Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation algae

Pool chemicals are normal, we have a little bit of green algae starting to form. Pump is running 24/7. 17k gallon AGP salt water ... Any thoughts or suggestions on how to stop this algae from growing/becoming worse??? All help is appreciated
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation algae

This would greatly help us figure out what's going on.

If algae is starting to form, that doesn't sound normal.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

FCC: 4.5
    TA: 70
    CYA: 70
    Salt: 3000 PPM
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

4. Back To Top    #4

Ph: 8.2

5. Back To Top    #5

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

for CYA level of 70, chart recommends minimum FC of 5 so it sounds like your chlorine is low for the amount of CYA you have
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the posts

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by swanny297
    Ph: 8.2
    Would also suggest lowering pH to around 7.2 first and then beginning the Shock Process since you have visible signs of algae. Once you begin the Shock Process, do not test for pH until you have passed all criteria and your FC drops below 10 ppm. You will also need to add bleach to reach the FC target needed for shocking as the SWG is not designed to crank out shock-level FC.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks started shocking Sunday Am looking better just thankful it wasnt to bad going to vacuum and backwash tonight keeping FC around 24 any other levels I should be checking while in Shock mode? When it is clear do I allow the chlorine level to drop to the level on the CYA chart and than test all parameters again? I am thinking my FC dropped on vacation and maybe my guest wasn't measuring right.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by swanny297
    Thanks started shocking Sunday Am looking better just thankful it wasnt to bad going to vacuum and backwash tonight keeping FC around 24 any other levels I should be checking while in Shock mode? When it is clear do I allow the chlorine level to drop to the level on the CYA chart and than test all parameters again? I am thinking my FC dropped on vacation and maybe my guest wasn't measuring right.
    Only check FC and CC while shocking. pH will be inaccurate, and nothing else will change.

As for maintenance, do not let your FC level drop until you pass all three criteria. See Pool School for a refresher.

Then, yes, test one more time, and use the chart.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I have passed 2 of the 3 my water is nice blue just not crystal clear is this because I have a sand filter? Is it safe to stop if I pass the overnight test again tomorrow if I am not perfectly clear or do I need to keep going? I just hate to keep adding bleach if the only reason it isn't clear is because of the sand filter I am maintaining FC levels though out the day as well.

11. Back To Top    #11

Keep going. Is it worth the risk of turning green to stop a day or two early?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry