Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Durable pool floats?

1. Back To Top    #1

Durable pool floats?

My wife is making our annual trip today to buy new floats and toys for the pool. We usually end up dropping a few hundred on these over each summer, and I would like to get away from that and buy some durable stuff that will last more than a season.

I am particularly looking for some good quality floating loungers that will hold up for more than 1 season. I am also considering some of the old fashioned rubber innertubes for myself and kids.

Any advice on these? Any that you have personal experience with?
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Durable pool floats?

I like the Intex inflatable lounge chair. It is big and difficult to store when inflated, however. It lasted two seasons outside before some animal punctured it with their claws. Closed cell foam floats are good too. They are a little pricy but last longer than inflatables, and are light and thin enough to be easily stored out of direct sun.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I ran across these and they seem a lot like the old lounge chair on 2 styrofoam arms type that used to last forever. Any thoughts?
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have noticed the loungers with pontoon floats greatly exaggerate the weight capacity of their product! Subtract about 50lbs off the stated capacity and if you're still in range you should be good!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

Vinyl covered foam floats are ok, but they still fail after a few years and are expensive, lately I have been buying the Swimways Spring Floats, or Spring Float XL

http://www.amazon.com/Swimways-Spring-F ... ring+float

They tend to hold up for a couple of years before the metal starts wearing through the fabric. I noticed that Academy has started selling these, which could be handy if you have one nearby. Note the XL really is BIG, I am 6 ft 225 pounds and I feel like I am sitting in a BIG chair when floating on one.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~