Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with valving - what can be safe to open/close

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with valving - what can be safe to open/close

I tried searching a bit and could not find an answer, so here we go.

I have 2 main drains and one skimmer for intake on 2" rigid PVC and then 3 returns.

Each line has it's own jandy never lube valve.

Question is, when I am say vacuuming or if I want to do a super skimming job, is it safe to turn off both the main drains, and ONLY have 1 input or would that somehow put too much stress on the system.

Is there a formula or something that says with this size pump, etc...you should always have 2 intakes operating, etc.

Also second related question....can I open and shut the valves WHILE the pump is running, or is it best practice to only open/close with no pressure against them.

Thanks in advance!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with valving - what can be safe to open/close

You should be fine just having one suction line open ... my pool only has one. Your flow rate will be lower.

You can also slowly turn them with the pump on, just never close all of them on either side of the pump at the same time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help with valving - what can be safe to open/close

Ok thanks much! That was easy...love this forum!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover