algae or pollen/plant debris?

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
yesterday noticed some yellowish-green residue on the wall of the skimmer side of the pool (rest of water looked pretty blue and clear) so we gave the pool a thorough brushing and I added more chlorine at around 10 p.m. At 11 p.m. last night my FC was 6.0 and at 8 am this morning it was still 6.0 (pool is chlorinated by manual addition of liquid chlorine only, no SWG or other automation), but water still seems to have a slight greenish haze when I brush the pool. We do get a fair amount of plant-based stuff landing in the pool, including the pollen from the neighbor's pines and our own birch trees, so could I have mistaken a layer of degrading plant material for algae? (Hubby was in the pool yesterday and he thought it was algae that was starting to grow on the steps b/c it felt a bit slimy)

Here's pix from this morning - not sure if that'll help with the diagnosis since it's hard to tell the color of the water with so much of the pool in shadow. I tried to rotate two of them in photobucket but they still end up sideways so apologies if you get a stiff neck from viewing

view from shallow end:

side view:

deep end close-up

neighbor's big pine trees - the pollen and needle factory LOL

PS: having just installed the warranty replacement of my clear solar cover, am wondering how low I should let the FC drop to before putting cover back on - I don't want to significantly shorten the life of the cover but I *do* want to keep our water temp nice and cozy so we can use the pool for something besides brushing and leaf-raking exercises!

Are you sure that some of that green tint you are seeing is not just reflections of the "greenery" around your pool since the sun is higher in the sky these days? I've been freaked out a couple of times before I caught on and realized the green was moving in the breeze!

I'd just bump the FC up a few points a day or two and see how it reacts and keep on filtering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.