shocking isn't it!?!?

May 21, 2013
ok, I had some serious issues with a leaky return. I fixed the return and I have resumed the water clearing of algae. I purchased the more affordable test kit (k-2005) and I see that it doesnt read above 5 ppm of chlorine. Are there kits that register higher? Reason I ask is because I read, and correct me if I am wrong, that you need to keep 10 ppm of FC in your pool to achieve this. I have a definite level of 0 cya and only added roughly 1 gallon of sodium hypo-chlrite 12.5% and I did this at sunset last night. I haven't added another drop of chlorine and the FC remains off the charts for now. I guess to be somewhere around 10 because it is slightly darker than the 5ppm mark. what do you guys think? I would guess that from sunset until 11:30 am, I would lose a little chlorine with a cya of 0 but it remains above 5. I can smell the chlorine (chlorimines???) in the samples that I take. shoulD I be adding more during the initial algae shock for clearing it up as if I was just opening it?? I can see roughly 1-2 feet below the surface (partially the 3rd step)

You need the FAS-DPD test to measure FC >5ppm accurately. You can order just that test from TF testkits and use it with your K2005. As a guestimate you could take a sample of pool water and mix 1 part pool water to 1 part distilled water and test it, then double the results. (Most tap water contains chlorine so you can't use it for this test.) Are you using the Pool Calculator or the pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock Chlorine/CYA chart to find your shock level? With a CYA of 0 10ppm of chlorine is too high.

Without any CYA your chlorine will burn off quickly in the sun. Your chlorine will be more effective if you raise the CYA to 20 and continue the shock process.

I tried the pool calculator and a few other helpful spots on here to come up with my calculations. I know the cya is needed to prolong the effectiveness of the FC but I was liking how quickly the FC level rose up to 10 ppm. I have added CYA recently by placing it in a sock and setting it in the skimmer (something I read from a post on here) and I await the dissolve. I will be testing it again at some point shortly for both cya and FC

My responses in blue.....

bobby32x said:
I tried the pool calculator and a few other helpful spots on here to come up with my calculations. I know the cya is needed to prolong the effectiveness of the FC but I was liking how quickly the FC level rose up to 10 ppm.

CYA won't affect how fast FC rises. It's dependent only on how much bleach you put in.

I have added CYA recently by placing it in a sock and setting it in the skimmer (something I read from a post on here) and I await the dissolve. I will be testing it again at some point shortly for both cya and FC.

Test for FC, but don't bother testing for CYA, assume it's in there. The test won't show the new addition for about a week, so you'd just be wasting the reagent.

well I thank you SmyKowski, and maybe I got lucky, but based on a level of 0 CYA, I put in enough CYA to bring it up 10 ppm (based on package instructions for a pool my size) and I tested it and it showed that my CYA was in the comfort area of 30. Maybe a week from now it will have increased dramatically, but for now, I am focusing on keeping my chlorine slightly above the 5 color on my test kit. Yes, I know it is extremely dangerous to guess, but my pool company near me told me to dump the entire 5 gallons of chlorine and I did, along with 1 gallon of algaecide. They told me to attack it hard. I realize now that they had given me bad instructions. I can only imagine what the FC level was after the 5 gallon shock. I am trying a little less aggressive approach to that of the pool store and trying to follow the shock chart based on cya level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.