Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: gas heater needs fix/pool repair guy frustration!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

gas heater needs fix/pool repair guy frustration!!!

Hi everyone!
    my original gas heater installed with pool in 1999 was replaced 2 seasons ago with "gently used" one Teledyne Laars XE model EG 125 at suggestion of pool repair guy for $500. End of last season August 2012, heater not working. Pool repair guy (The Pool Doctor) ends up taking out inside of heater. I keep calling and he keeps telling me he'll be by to reinstall. I probably called a 100 times! This past week, yes ,he finally admits he cant find a part for it. I told him just bring it by I'll find someone else or whatever. He says he cant find the Regulator valve/stem to adjust pilot. He lights pilot and it is just one big flame. So, do i try and find part and obviously a new Pool repair guy or just get a new heater? I want to get swimming soon! I would appreciate any insight and info. Any recommendations for natural gas heater and installation. Thank you all in advance!
    15x 30 inground oval vinyl lined. 15000gals. Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter. Laars lite natural gas heater. 6 foot slide, underwater light . 3.5 ft. shallow,to 7ft. deepend. TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: gas heater needs fix/pool repair guy frustration!!!

If the pilot flame area is, as you say, "one big flame", it sounds like there is a problem with the pilot orifice...possibly missing? Pictures of the bad part as well as the gas valve may shed some light on what the problem may be.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That heater might be "gentle" used but it is old. You might repair this issue and then another issue pops up. I wouldn't put a penny into it and save your money for a new unit but if you really feel compelled to fix this unit here are the parts you are looking for.

For natural gas, http://www.parts4heating.com/product-p/r0027500.htm

For an LP system, http://www.parts4heating.com/product-p/r0027600.htm

I would really think twice about repairing this unit .
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for input. I was leaning towards getting new heater as this one is older and as you say, another problem around the corner! I will not do anything myself as far as fixing this heater. too nervous!!I respect those who can! I know my limits! Don't want to blow up house or whatever.
    any suggestions for new heater? size, brand,etc? thanks again
    15x 30 inground oval vinyl lined. 15000gals. Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter. Laars lite natural gas heater. 6 foot slide, underwater light . 3.5 ft. shallow,to 7ft. deepend. TF 100 test kit