Algae AND iron

May 30, 2009
Walden, Ny
Hi everyone,
Another year of start up problems..lol...My pool was almost completely drained in closing by mistake by my loving brother. I had uncoered it this year to find a little algae so it took 2 days to fill it back up. In that time the algae grew and our water has alot of iron in it. So my question is do I try to kill the algae first or get rid of the iron first? The metal out stuff says you cant have chlorine in the pool when using it .

Ok so now I am confused more. I put the sequestrant and shocked the pool, at 9pm last night it was almost completely clear, so i set my chlorinator to full to kill the rest of the algae. I went to bed and thought when a get up I will vacuum and be ready for swimming. when i woke up my steps were brown again and the the water totally green in deep end and a cloudy green tint in low end. I checked my chlorine level is thru the roof. What did I do wrong? Or is there still metal in the water? My ph is high also, so I added decreaser. What else can I do?

As for a pic i will try.. my camera is not that great. As for test results i have ordered a kit but hasnt come yet so i went and got new reagents at walmart for chlorine and ph for old kit till new one comes. There are no numbers to give because the color is beyond what is on the chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.