Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water due to calcium hypochlorite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water due to calcium hypochlorite?

I usually stick with BBB method. However, my pool was really green so I used calcium hypochlorite to kill the algae. That part worked great but now the water is cloudy. The guy at the pool store said it would make the water cloudy. Do I need to add a flocculant to combat the cloudy problem? If so, any recommendations on a particular brand? Thanks!
    JMK

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water due to calcium hypochlorite?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy
    I usually stick with BBB method. However, my pool was really green so I used calcium hypochlorite to kill the algae. That part worked great but now the water is cloudy. The guy at the pool store said it would make the water cloudy. Do I need to add a flocculant to combat the cloudy problem? If so, any recommendations on a particular brand? Thanks!
    If it's calcium cloudiness, it should disappear. More likely all that green stuff is now grey stuff and it will just take time to filter out.

If, as you say, you use the BBB method, how did it turn green?

Could you post some test results? You may have only fired the first shots in the war known as The Shock Process. You might want to re-read that article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You should post a complete set of water test results. From that we might be able to suggest something that will speed up the clearing process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

pH was a little on the acidic side (6.8) and TA was 60 so I added a little baking soda this morning to adjust both of those issues. This is for an above ground 16x32 pool.

It was green to start with because I only threw a net rather than a cover over it for the winter. I'm late getting it going for the season so .... green!
    JMK

5. Back To Top    #5

I added about 3 pounds of CYA but haven't tested yet. Haven't tested chlorine since adding cal-hypo. I've got to get more testing agents for chlorine today.
    JMK

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

pH was a little on the acidic side (6.8) and TA was 60 so I added a little baking soda this morning to adjust both of those issues.
    Baking soda has little affect on pH. Adjust pH up with 20 mule team borax.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School