Iaqualink WIFI connection problem

Mar 10, 2013
Folks,, Electrician installed the Iaqualink receiver (antenna) by my pool equipment pad yesterday. I am a bit concerned that the receiver will not reach my homes Wi-Fi signal. I live in a stucco home and have a hard time with wifi outdoors on our iphones. I took my Iphone out by the equipment pad ant it looses wifi connection with my router quickly and cannot regain until I move back into the my house. Is the Iaqualink stronger than an Iphone to grab signals? Should I ask them to move it? Is there a longer cord available?

Thanks

The problem may not be just your home but also cross-interference from other wifi APs around your neighborhood. You need to make sure you are using wifi channel(s) that don't overlap and conflict with others around you. Getting your own signals nailed down may give you just enough range/strength to keep the iAquaLink locked in. There's an application called inSSIDer that you can use to evaluate all the WIFI interference around you and help you determine what frequency you should be using. There are also dozens of information posts around the internet discussing what your frequency should be set to in relation to the other signals around you.

It just so happens that my home is also stucco with a lot of large fireplace flues to block the signal. My "equipment closet" is on the opposite side of the house and a level away from the master bedroom. My iAqualink is outside the master bedroom wall (so another stucco wall between it and the "main" wireless router). I'm a techie so I had the top-rated wireless router of the time and it barely reached to the bedroom (even after tuning with the inSSIDer application). This was before I installed the iAquaLink so to get better reception on the master-bedroom end of the house I ran some network cable into one of the cabinets there from the equipment closet and bought a wireless access point to be used there. This means I have two wireless access points at my house (each at the far end) using the same SSID but different frequencies (again carefully planned not to overlap or conflict with each other) and any wireless devices properly "hand-off" between the two as I roam through the house (iphone, ipad, etc). Now that I had the strong signal on that end of the house, the iAquaLink had no problem locking on. That being said, I did have some trouble initially with the iAquaLink becuase when I originally set it up, I was near the equipment closet and it locked onto the frequency at that end of the house. When we permanently installed it, it should have automatically transferred to the new Access Point but it didn't so I didn't get consistent signal on it. After powering the iAquaLink down a few times and complaining to Zodiac, it eventually picked up the proper access point (not sure if they pushed a new firmware out to it to fix the problem or if it was the reboots or both).

Now, all that being said, since I could get network cabling to the master bedroom, I could also have just as easily gotten it out the eve and to the outside and had the iaqualink running wired instead of wireless. Wired is always an option if you can find someone to run the cable.

CAVJOCK22 said:
Jragan,,
Are you happy with the Iaqualink? I noticed the newest version is getting much better reviews..
So I was a fairly early adopter of iAquaLink (March or so of last year) and aside from some minor setup bugs, it's been flawless. Regional Zodiac rep was actually the one who installed it.
2 days ago I had a manual pool system at our lake house converted to the IQ-904PS which is a RS4-based and iAquaLink-controlled automation system.

I've been comparing the two to each other and I can find no differences other than the newer one reports itself as an "iAquaLink 4" in its help menu. Everything else (functions, screens, abilities) seems to be identical.

I've loved the iAquaLink. If the wife and I are at dinner and want to go home to a hot spa, then we can turn the heat on at dinner and it will be ready and bubbling for us when we get home.

Note that the lake house won't have a normal wall-mounted control panel -- it will only have the iAquaLink and I don't see this being a problem.

The only problem I've had with the iAquaLink is that it doesn't play well if there's a spa-side controller in the mix. Every once in a while, the system will report "ghost" auxillaries being activated that aren't present in the system and the only way to clear the condition is to power-cycle the pool equipment. It's an annoyance but not a hindrance to usability. The new lake house system doesn't have a spa-side controller (being as it was all manual previously) so I won't be able to comment as to whether the newer iAquaLink hardware has solved the issue.

That's great. I'm looking forward to using it in a few weeks. We have a spa but the controls are all in the same box. Looks pretty straight forward to use and program.. I only wish I had them wire an extra relay or two...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.