Well hello again, tested my friends pool water and.....

Jun 26, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Here's what I got:

FC 32.0
CC 1.5
ph 7.5
TA 100
CH 120
CYA 45

The pool has been green since they opened it and its been two weeks, the owner just dumped a bunch of powder shock and it has cleared mostly since yesterday.
Water is still cloudy and has some greenish tint to it.

What should I recommend for her to do next?

Well, that powdered shock more than likely contains CYA, so that level will go up as it dissolves and thus drive the required-FC shock level up, as well.

Is this a vinyl-liner pool? If not, you'll want to get some calcium in the water up to recommended levels

Aside from that, it sounds like they're on their way. Continue the shock process and the water should clear up soon, just stay on top of it. (and don't add any more powdered shock!) :cheers:

AdrenalinPlease said:
Here's what I got:

FC 32.0
CC 1.5
ph 7.5
TA 100
CH 120
CYA 45

The pool has been green since they opened it and its been two weeks, the owner just dumped a bunch of powder shock and it has cleared mostly since yesterday.
Water is still cloudy and has some greenish tint to it.

What should I recommend for her to do next?
Recommend that she buy a couple cases of bleach and keep FC about 16 until (everyone repeat after me!) the water is clear, the CC is ,5 or less, and it loses less than 1ppm FC overnight. You need to read the label on that "shock" powder and if it's diclor or trichlor, take it away from her. Her CYA is high enough already. If it's Cal-hypo, she can continue to use it, but bleach is better because she won't have to monitor the CH climb with bleach. If this is a vinyl pool, there's a slim chance she's bleached her liner, and she should be careful not to overdose the pool again.

Explain it thus: If the doctor prescribed antibiotics and said to take one in the morning and one in the evening for ten days, would you just eat all twenty at once?

Encourage her to get her own test kit ASAP and to read Pool School and turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.