Brand New DE filter leaks......o ring?

Alscrx

May 12, 2013
CT
So i ran the filter for the first time yesterday but i notice a small, not steady, but frequent drip coming from the side where the top of the filter housing is. I removed the lock ring, and removed the filter top.

I inspected the HUGE o ring on the top housing and it was lubed. I reinstalled but same thing.
Do you guys think its the O ring gasket?

If i replace the o-ring....what do you use to lube it so the rubber doesnt get eaten away?? I know some lubes will eat rubber.

I suggest taking it apart again and examining the area on each piece where they meet the o-ring. The surfaces should be smooth and free of burs or nicks. It doesn't take a whole lot of a bump or grove to provide a path water can get through.

O-rings should be lubed with a silicone or teflon based plumbers lube. Petroleum based oils will cause problems for the rubber.

Thanks, the base has a notch on each side. The top just has a groove that the ring sits in.
When i remove it i will take pics of the base. It looks like when the top is on, the o -ring should or is supposed to cover the notch to prevent dripping.

Its weird because both sides of the base has that notch. And one side leaks and the other is not.
I have the filter on patio blocks which i leveled. If the filter is off SLIGHTLY because the blocks were dead level when installing....would that cause that side to leak?

I am gonna get a free replacement o ring today and retry with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.