I need a Jandy/Zodiac dual speed relay... does it exist?

Sep 25, 2012
Orlando, FL
I have a Jandy Stealth 2.5hp, dual speed pump (Model: SHPM2.5) and a Jandy RS8 controller/power center on a new pool install. I'm supplying all of the equipment and the installer is just setting it up for me. The installer needs a dual speed relay to work with the rs8/power center. I ordered a "Jandy AquaLink RS 2-Speed Pool Pump Motor Relay Kit 6796" but I learned it's only rated for 2hp max pump (voltage and amperage is fine though). Looking through the zodiac catalog I don't see any other dual speed relays.

Will the part I ordered be ok for a 2.5hp pump?
Is there a different Jandy/Zodiac party I should have ordered?

Thanks in advance :)

That depends on the motor you have now. HP ratings are fairly arbitrary and often fudged by marketing types. Your pump might actually have a motor similar in size to a "standard" 2 HP motor, or it might be larger or smaller. The listed HP is only a hint. Take a look at the amp rating on the motor and also the SF (or service factor) listed on the motor spec plate to get a hint about what size the motor "really" is.

If this is an above ground pool pump you are almost certainly fine. Above ground pumps always have listed HP ratings higher than reality. For an in-ground pump that is far less likely to be true, and you may need to hunt down a different relay.

I completely forgot about the service factor. It wasn't listed on the motor but finding the replacement motor from A.O.Smith/ Centurion indicates that motor is actually a 2hp motor with a service factor of 1.3

SO... I guess I'm in the clear then. Correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.