Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water thoughts...

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water thoughts...

Things are running fine in my pool, the TF100 and BBB is so unbelievably simple and effective. I have a SWG, but the pool is too cold just yet... I should be turning it on this weekend as I am now consistently over 70deg. Having a SWG makes me grow less diligent! I am used to not having to add to keep FC where I want it. I test every 2-3 days, where I should be testing daily. This only makes any kind of difference at the first of the season when I cannot run the SWG due to low water temp.

Hot sunny days brings the FC=0. The next day yields cloudy water - deep end pattern is distinctly washed out and you have to struggle to see it. Testing reveals FC=0, CC=0. TC=0. Completely my fault through laziness and habits formed by SWG. I bring the TC up to about 4 and in 2-3 days the water returns to crystal clear. Then a week or so later I get busy with work, and since we are not swimming due to cold water, I get lax again and it happens again. But clears up completely when I bring it back up for a couple of days.

When I test I always have CC=0, and when FC=3-5 the water looks fantastic. I know the answer is "don't do that" (Dr, it hurts when I do this...), and there will be no issue when the SWG kicks on again.

QUESTION: when all my levels are where I want them, the water is clear, when FC=0, it goes cloudy for a few days. Is this the norm? It there something slight living in my pool that is killed when I bring back the FC? My CC has always been 0. I can also pass the OCLT.

It is not really a problem, since I do keep the levels where they should be, just a question about pre-season maintenance and an observation.
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by shep377
    QUESTION: when all my levels are where I want them, the water is clear, when FC=0, it goes cloudy for a few days. Is this the norm? It there something slight living in my pool that is killed when I bring back the FC?
    Yes, this is very likely what is happening.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cloudy Water thoughts...

Since your SWG is not on yet, you are temporarily running a manually chlorinated pool. Adust your min FC level accordingly until the SWG can do its thing. What is your CYA level?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry