Why is my TA so high, and what should be done?

May 16, 2013
Hey all. I am through the shocking process and now bringing my FC level down to maintenance levels. I have been in the process over the past several days of raising the CYA through the pantyhose method, but it is going slowly.

Here's my results as I just tested:

CYA 45
PH 7.5
FC 8.5
CC 1
Salt 3460
TA 200

200? Can someone have a TA of 200, and if so, how did it get so high, and what can I do that wont bring down the PH, which I would like to get up, along with with CYA levels.

As a side note, I was planning on starting the addition of borate tomorrow, but I don't want to until I get this TA thing in order.

Thanks!

What test kit are you using?

If you have CC>0.5 then you are not done with the shocking process.

My TA out of my well can sometimes be up around 300 ppm.

With that said, your ph is very high (how are you able to measure 8.5?) and you need to get it down.I would shoot for 7.4, then test again in an hour (with pump running) and repeat until you get it down.

cujowoof said:
Hey all. I am through the shocking process and now bringing my FC level down to maintenance levels. I have been in the process over the past several days of raising the CYA through the pantyhose method, but it is going slowly.

Here's my results as I just tested:

CYA 45
PH 7.5
FC 8.5
CC 1
Salt 3460
TA 200

200? Can someone have a TA of 200, and if so, how did it get so high, and what can I do that wont bring down the PH, which I would like to get up, along with with CYA levels.

As a side note, I was planning on starting the addition of borate tomorrow, but I don't want to until I get this TA thing in order.

Thanks!
Last time I tested my tap water, it was 220 TA.

Do not mess around with Borates until the rest of the pool is balanced and under control. They aren't mandatory, and they won't fix a pool that has it's basic chemistry out of whack. Eliminate the CC, then raise the CYA, fix the TA - which can't be done without lowering pH, although pH will stay in the comfort zone if you do it right. And finally, add borates if you must. I've never added Borates to my pool and the chemistry has been balanced and the water clear every day for the last three years. Borates are not a magic pill that fixes everything.

TA is a bit on the high side but will come down naturally as you will need to add acid to your pool over time. It might be better to look at your Calcium Hardness in relation to that high TA to determine if your TA really needs to come down sooner rather than later. What is your calcium level at?

I would wait on the Borate until a more official post from a guru chimes in. On the other hand Adding borate then acid may be the fix you want to get TA back in Check.

I'm not sure how it got that high other than it could be your fill water. Often it is good to run a quality test on fill water to see what you might be dealing with each time you put water into the pool.

Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level. I have the TF--00 test kit.

Because this is a SWG, I would like to raise the PH up to about 7.8, but I would be more happy with getting the TA down first, along with raising the CYA.

Ill keep ya posted in case things really get out of whack

cujowoof said:
Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level. I have the TF--00 test kit.

Because this is a SWG, I would like to raise the PH up to about 7.8, but I would be more happy with getting the TA down first, along with raising the CYA.

Ill keep ya posted in case things really get out of whack
The SWG and the high TA will push your pH up to 7.8 in a day or two anyway. You'll be needing acid next week to lower pH!

cujowoof said:
Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level.
whoops...I really need to go to bed...sorry :oops: With that said, unless my eyes are still to sleepy, you have CC>0.5 so you are not done with the shocking process.

cujowoof said:
Why do you want ph up to 7.8? For the aeration process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.