Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my TA so high, and what should be done?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my TA so high, and what should be done?

Hey all. I am through the shocking process and now bringing my FC level down to maintenance levels. I have been in the process over the past several days of raising the CYA through the pantyhose method, but it is going slowly.

Here's my results as I just tested:

CYA 45
    PH 7.5
    FC 8.5
    CC 1
    Salt 3460
    TA 200

200? Can someone have a TA of 200, and if so, how did it get so high, and what can I do that wont bring down the PH, which I would like to get up, along with with CYA levels.

As a side note, I was planning on starting the addition of borate tomorrow, but I don't want to until I get this TA thing in order.

Thanks!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my TA so high, and what should be done?

What test kit are you using?

If you have CC>0.5 then you are not done with the shocking process.

My TA out of my well can sometimes be up around 300 ppm.

With that said, your ph is very high (how are you able to measure 8.5?) and you need to get it down.I would shoot for 7.4, then test again in an hour (with pump running) and repeat until you get it down.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cujowoof
    Hey all. I am through the shocking process and now bringing my FC level down to maintenance levels. I have been in the process over the past several days of raising the CYA through the pantyhose method, but it is going slowly.

Here's my results as I just tested:

CYA 45
    PH 7.5
    FC 8.5
    CC 1
    Salt 3460
    TA 200

200? Can someone have a TA of 200, and if so, how did it get so high, and what can I do that wont bring down the PH, which I would like to get up, along with with CYA levels.

As a side note, I was planning on starting the addition of borate tomorrow, but I don't want to until I get this TA thing in order.

Thanks!
    Last time I tested my tap water, it was 220 TA.

Do not mess around with Borates until the rest of the pool is balanced and under control. They aren't mandatory, and they won't fix a pool that has it's basic chemistry out of whack. Eliminate the CC, then raise the CYA, fix the TA - which can't be done without lowering pH, although pH will stay in the comfort zone if you do it right. And finally, add borates if you must. I've never added Borates to my pool and the chemistry has been balanced and the water clear every day for the last three years. Borates are not a magic pill that fixes everything.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

TA is a bit on the high side but will come down naturally as you will need to add acid to your pool over time. It might be better to look at your Calcium Hardness in relation to that high TA to determine if your TA really needs to come down sooner rather than later. What is your calcium level at?

I would wait on the Borate until a more official post from a guru chimes in. On the other hand Adding borate then acid may be the fix you want to get TA back in Check.

I'm not sure how it got that high other than it could be your fill water. Often it is good to run a quality test on fill water to see what you might be dealing with each time you put water into the pool.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level. I have the TF--00 test kit.

Because this is a SWG, I would like to raise the PH up to about 7.8, but I would be more happy with getting the TA down first, along with raising the CYA.

Ill keep ya posted in case things really get out of whack
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level. I have the TF--00 test kit.

Because this is a SWG, I would like to raise the PH up to about 7.8, but I would be more happy with getting the TA down first, along with raising the CYA.

Ill keep ya posted in case things really get out of whack
    The SWG and the high TA will push your pH up to 7.8 in a day or two anyway. You'll be needing acid next week to lower pH!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just to clarify, the PH is 7.5 and not 8.5. The 8.5 relates to my FC level.
    whoops...I really need to go to bed...sorry With that said, unless my eyes are still to sleepy, you have CC>0.5 so you are not done with the shocking process.

Why do you want ph up to 7.8? For the aeration process?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

TA is likely high from fill water.

Instructions on lowering TA http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir