1st Time Poster - Day 8 . SHOCKED + CRITTER!

May 30, 2013
Hello,

I'm new to the board and could use some expertise. I purchased and received my TF-100 kit. I live in NC, so it arrived in one day. I spoke with Dave, very nice, informative. I'm giving my full history here, you can skip to the bottom for my current test conditions and signature info.

My in-ground, gunite pool was installed in 2003. I was trouble free for most of this time. My biggest issue in the last 4 years was black spot algae that would find its way into corners around the steps, places where my vacuum didn't seem to go. It would not brush off the gunite easily, and I would use chlorine tabs to scrape the head off algae, and then grind the tab into the "spot". The black algae would die off to a yellow, and would brush easily out of the cracks. I would usually only have to do this once a year, but each year it would return when the water warmed up to around 80.

Last year, in May, I shattered my arm in 13 places. Pool care was left to my wife, who, bless her, tried to manage me, the kids, and get to the pool. We could not get the cover on in winter, and the pool went swamp by this Feb.

Fast forward to early May and I finish my teaching job and get to serious work on the pool. The pool was a sick very dark green color. I could not see three inches into the surface of the water. Starting May 8th, I added around 10 pounds of powdered chlorine (sodium-dicloro-s-triainetrione hydrate 99%, available chlorine 55%), added 6 3" tabs to the in-line chlorinator (tricloro-s-triazinetrione 99%, available chlorine 90%), put 5 tabs in a floater, and set the pump to 24 hours a day work. On May 11th, I vacuumed the bottom trying to get out pine-needles and pin oak leaves. These I pulled directly to the pump basket, and found that the waste was full of worms. Disgusting. I pressure washed out the filters and left them overnight in filter cleaner and rinsed them the next day.

4 days later, I put in 15 lbs of the same powder chlorine. On the 18th, the pool was a better green; I could barely see 9 inches of depth. I washed out the filters again, which took half as long (1 1/2 hours). I then put in 10 lbs. of powder chlorine. Two days later, the pool turned an extremely cloudy blue color. I get in this soup, goggles on, and take to diving with the leaf net pulling out roughly 20 lbs of debris. I get an eye-infection the next day.

On the 23rd, I go to the pool store for a test. I get these results:

FC - 0,
TAC - 0,
pH 7.0,
TA 50,
CH 620,

I'm told to add 15 lbs of Alkalinity Up (I have this in the form of an expensive brand from Home Depot, but costs 1/2 as much than pool store. I use sodium bicarbonate 100%). I put this in the pool, in solution, wait 4 hours, and add 2 lbs. Soda Ash. I use 2 lbs. Dry Acid (sodium bisulfate 93%) in solution, hoping it is the same. I tell them about the extreme cloudiness, they sell me 20 lbs. of Alum.

On the 25th (3rd weekend), pump still running 24 hours a day since the 8th except when I wash the filters, I clean the filters for a third time. Brown goop rather than green. Pool is still VERY cloudy, but blue, these are good signs I think. I get the idea to pressure wash the inside of the pool... and spray (or think I'm spraying) the walls and floor. I can't see anything except maybe a foot deep, but get a good pattern. The pool turns greener. I add 10 lbs of powder chlorine and refill the in-line chlorinator with 3" tabs (about 5 this time). The floater is still full, so I add nothing there. 4 hours later I add 10 lbs. of Alum, circulate the pool for 2 hours, and then shut if off for the first time overnight. May 27th; 8 hours later I have a very yellow and sick looking layer of scum on the top of the pool. It looks like congealed mucus. I'm extremely disheartened by this, it looks like pestilence. I get to work and skim off the top layer. Sections come up and I fill 3 8 gallon buckets with foam/gel. Some lying just below the surface breaks up as I try to net it, but I get the whole top layer off, 4 hours labor here. I can see the shallow end bottom! I then start to vacuum to waste. This drops the water level about 5 inches in the pool as I get up the brown bottom layer. I re-fill with the hose, keep the pump off. The next day, vacuum again to waste. I can barely see the vacuum head near the bottom of the deepest 6' section, but get a lot up. I'm convinced there is little debris left in the pool, hardly a 1/3 of the pump basket has needles/leaves. This drains about 4 inches of water; I refill and rewash the filters. They are filled with a neon green goopy gel. They wash very easily though. Turn pump back on for two hours, turn it off.

Next day, vacuum for third time to waste, water much clearer then green soup I started with 3 weeks ago, but realistically is very, very cloudy. I can't see the drain heads in the deep yet. Refill about 4 inches of water, turn pump on and let it run... I used a test strip here and the pH was WAY UNDER the scale, so much less than 6.8. I then found these boards and read, and read, and read. And then read some more the next few days. Need a test kit. Need a test kit...

CURRENT CONDITIONS: Yesterday I ordered the TF-100 test kit; today I received it, and ran the tests. The pool is clearer; I can finally see the drain heads in the deep end at dusk. Still somewhat cloudy. Yellow is just starting to spread pretty rapidly on the walls and is turning to brown. Strip test kit reads FCl - 0, Allc - 80, pH 7.0, CH >800

TF-100 kit results: (all ran two times to get familiar with the directions and kit.) Same results on all tests, so I'm doing those consistently (right I hope).

OTO/TC - 1.0 (my son thought it was lower, wife and I think it was 1.0)
pH - 6.8
FC - 1.5
CC - 2.0
TA - 100
CH - 640
CYA - 120 (I ran this multiple times and kept coming up just over 90... so I did second stage, half pool, half tap test and got 59-60 multiple times)

So, I hope the full history of the last three weeks wasn't boring. I'm at a loss at what to do next, mainly because I'm tired. I've read the boards and know my pH is low and my CH is very high. CYA is very high as well, and it looks like more water changing. I'm not surprised, but I could use some real step-by-step advice on the next moves. I plan on washing the filters again tomorrow.

Clearly I still have algae. I appreciate any advice that will help with the weekend's work. I really appreciate the idea behind these boards. I plan on educating myself, but could use some initial guidance as I do so. I clearly need to move away from the 3" tabs and all of the powder...

Sincerely,

Sean Riley

Re: First Time Poster, Older Pool, Could Use Help Please.

Welcome to tfp, Sean Riley :wave:

Normally the first step would be to lower cya by a drain/refill... but in your case the ph is low...it may be lower than 6.8 since lower ph will read as 6.8. Use enough borax (calculated by the poolcalculator.com) to raise you pool up to 7.2, then test again in an hour (with the pump running) and redose/repeat as necessary until you get to 7.2.

Then tackle the cya...you need to drain about 60% of your pool to get down close to the 30-50 ppm recommended range for cya. I would take advantage of this drain and vacuum to waste for part of it to get rid of solids that might be hidden in the depths of your pool.

Next you need to do the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool Use bleach/liquid chlorine (no more trichlor puck or dichlor or cal hypo) to do this.

What is your fill water CH level?

Welcome! :wave:

Well...first thing I'd do is replace that broken pressure gauge. That can be fixed quickly and cheaply and at least one thing on your to-do list will be accomplished! Plus you'll be loading up that filter and you'll need to know when its time to clean it.

Then I'd follow Linen's advice and fix the pH. Also pretty quick to do, and it will keep your plaster from deteriorating any further or your heater from rotting out.

Then drain a bunch of water. If you have a multiport valve, then vacuum to waste and kill two birds with one stone - lower the water level and suck that layer of scum off the bottom without it going through the filter.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Sean Riley :wave:

Normally the first step would be to lower cya by a drain/refill... but in your case the ph is low...it may be lower than 6.8 since lower ph will read as 6.8. Use enough borax (calculated by the poolcalculator.com) to raise you pool up to 7.2, then test again in an hour (with the pump running) and redose/repeat as necessary until you get to 7.2.
The calculator says to add 238 oz. of borax. Do I do this in solution?

Then tackle the cya...you need to drain about 60% of your pool to get down close to the 30-50 ppm recommended range for cya. I would take advantage of this drain and vacuum to waste for part of it to get rid of solids that might be hidden in the depths of your pool.
Question, so I want to adjust pH, test until I get to correct levels, then drain 60%+ and refill? Does this not waste the borax?

Next you need to do the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool Use bleach/liquid chlorine (no more trichlor puck or dichlor or cal hypo) to do this.

What is your fill water CH level?
I'm shooting for the draining, refill tomorrow as I wash the filters. I will test my fill CH, I never thought of that.

I have a few questions.

I'm investigating buying bleach tomorrow as well. How much bleach do you need for this system, roughly, say on a day to day basis?

If I drain, do I do it all at once? Or 1/3, fill, 1/3, fill?

Thanks for your prompt reply! I will do my best to comply as I work out the details of my pool chemistry.

Sincere thanks for your help and advice linen!

Sean Riley

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

Well...first thing I'd do is replace that broken pressure gauge. That can be fixed quickly and cheaply and at least one thing on your to-do list will be accomplished! Plus you'll be loading up that filter and you'll need to know when its time to clean it.

Then I'd follow Linen's advice and fix the pH. Also pretty quick to do, and it will keep your plaster from deteriorating any further or your heater from rotting out.

Then drain a bunch of water. If you have a multiport valve, then vacuum to waste and kill two birds with one stone - lower the water level and suck that layer of scum off the bottom without it going through the filter.
Richard, hello. There really isn't any scum left, just new algae growing on the walls. I'm all over this. The broken pressure gage will be fixed. The flow is good, I can tell by the overflow of the water from the raised spa into th pool. I will check back tomorrow, and post work/tests!

Again, thank you.

Sean Riley

If your going to get the water replacement done right away I would say hold off on the Borax, but if this water replacement is going to take a few days go ahead and deal with the pH first.

Ike

Never empty your pool unless you are having work done on it! You run the risk of popping the shell. Do several drain/refills of 1/3 if you have to. Sweeping to waste is a good option for you. While you are refilling, read and re-read Pool School. Pay particular attention to the CYA/Chlorine chart and how they work together. Although powdered chlorine and pucks have their place, it's not recommended for every day use in pool care when implementing what we learn and teach here on TFP. There is a far easier and better way... you will see the difference very, very soon! :cool:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Once you get it cleared and running fine you should expect to lose around 2-4 ppm per day. My pool is about the same size as yours and I generally add 5 or 6 121oz 8.25% jugs a week. Each of those jugs raises the chlorine level by just under 3ppm in a 28,000 gal pool. Your chlorine demand could be more or less depending on how much sun your pool gets during the day, how many people use the pool regularly and how much stuff gets in your pool. Good luck!

Bluechip said:
Once you get it cleared and running fine you should expect to lose around 2-4 ppm per day. My pool is about the same size as yours and I generally add 5 or 6 121oz 8.25% jugs a week. Each of those jugs raises the chlorine level by just under 3ppm in a 28,000 gal pool. Your chlorine demand could be more or less depending on how much sun your pool gets during the day, how many people use the pool regularly and how much stuff gets in your pool. Good luck!
Interesting. Do you find that you are adding daily? When do you add, at night, or morning? Why? I'm not finding the links to where to add chemicals, and how long it takes for them to regulate before I test the new levels. Any insights?

For instance, I added three boxes of Borax today... how long will it take to disperse before I can take a new pH measurement?

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

They say it's best to add in the evening for chlorine but I add when ever I get around to it. I usually add 1 jug per day for 3 or so days then skip a day once the fc level is at upper of my levels. Then back at it when levels drop.

Re: First Time Poster, New Test Results for DAY 2

NEW TEST RESULTS -- DAY 2

Yesterday's Results

OTO - 1.0
pH - 6.8
FC - 1.5
CC - 2.0
TA - 100
CH - 640
CYA - 120

Actions taken. Used Pool Calculator. Pump still running at full 24/7. Removed all 3" tabs from system. Water started much clearer then yesterday, Main drains clearly visible now. Yellow on walls darkened, but did not spread much. Added 228 oz. of Borax (3 boxes) in solution. Vacuumed bottom to waste, brushed yellow to vacuum hose with wire brush, getting some white of plaster... I'd estimate I got less then half during suction. Dropped water 1/6 total. Added 121 oz. of 8.25% liquid chlorine bleach. Pump ran 4 hours. Did not clean filters today, but plan on doing it tomorrow. Retested.

First, I was asked about the CH of my fill water, it is 30.

OTO - 1
pH - 7.3
FC - 1.5
CC - 2.0
TC - 3.5
TA - 80 (down 20)
CH - 570 (down 70)
CYA - 100 (down 20)

Tomorrow's plan.
Wash filters.
Change out more water. Hope to change up to 1/3 tomorrow. Refill is pretty slow.
Any recommended actions?

I have a few questions.

How long after you drop in bleach or other chemicals is water safe to get into?
How long can I trust test results? If I test at night, can I apply test results next day, or should I retest in the morning? What tests are important? OTO, pH, TA, and which?
I would have expected CYA to drop more today, but then again, the water is much cloudier after brushing. When is a good time to test CYA?
What are my next steps?
When can I shock for algae? I'm assuming when CYA is much lower...

Thanks for the advice, welcomes, and words of encouragement.

Sean Riley

Yes wait for the CYA to get down before you shock, it looks like you will still have a pH issue which you should resolve before shocking, the common pH test only goes down to 6.8 so it ma really be much lower.

So continue the water replacement as you are doing

Adjust pH

Shock

p.s. and get a new pressure gauge, most are common 1/4 inch NPT stem gauges, the typical pool gauge is fairly low quality, if you want something better get an oil filled gauge, they will last much longer

Re: First Time Poster - Could Use Help - Day 5 Tests.

Day 5.

Filters washed again, more water changed (I'd say 1/2)

Test Readings,

OTO 1
pH 7.3
FC 1 (down .5)
CC 1.5 (down .5)
TC 2.5 (down 1)
TA 70 (down 10, 30 overall since day 1)
CH 400 (down 170, 240 overall)
CYA 60! (down 40, 60 overall)
Borates ? I've previously put in 3 boxes of Borax, but have change out about 1/2 of the water.
TEMP: 76
I get full sun about 7 hours a day.

Issues: Have been dropping one gallon a bleach a day, but chlorine seems to be dropping. Did two gallons of 8.25 today, 5 hours ago. Test water is 20 minutes old. Chlorine reading lower then before. Yellow is coming back daily. I keep brushing daily, clouding up the water, then putting in bleach. Still running the pump 24 hours a day. Water seems clear in the morning, yellow spreading by the afternoon. Clearly I need to shock soon.

Probably have changed just over 1/2 of my water, have had significant 3" rain day before which I wondered had something to do with chlorine drop.

How much bleach should I be putting in daily until I can get CYA down a bit more?
What about dropping TA? I have baking soda... I believe if I put this in TA and pH might balance.
CH - Could this be high due to brushing gunite with wire brush?

I think one more water change to get CH and CYA to good level. Any opinions?

Mostly worried about losing ground on the algae. I would like to get to the shocking. I see the appropriate shock levels, but am unclear how much bleach might be needed to get to that point and maintain it for the correct time. I don't want to have to go shopping in the middle of this procedure.

Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for the good advice!

Sean Riley

Re: First Time Poster - Could Use Help - Day 5 tests.

Don't worry about TA and borates. Borates are optional, and your TA is fine.

It's easier to shock with CYA a little lower, but it can certainly be done at 60. It will just take more bleach to get to shock level. You will likely use a lot of bleach over multiple days during the shock process, so I would just plan on having to buy more at some point.

Since you have something living in the pool, your FC will be consumed the moment you put it in the pool, so put some more in now.

Re: First Time Poster - Could Use Help - Day 5 tests.

Pics of pool!

Day 0 (day before I got test kit).
[attachment=2:25tz9h6m]Pool 0.JPG[/attachment:25tz9h6m]
Day 6 morning pics. Sky is overcast.
[attachment=1:25tz9h6m]Pool 1.JPG[/attachment:25tz9h6m]
[attachment=0:25tz9h6m]Pool 2.JPG[/attachment:25tz9h6m]

Attachments

• Pool 0.JPG
    Pool 0.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Pool 1.JPG
    Pool 1.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Pool 2.JPG
    Pool 2.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 200
Re: First Time Poster - Could Use Help - Day 5 tests. PICS U

We can't really say how much bleach you will need to complete the shock process, there are too many variables. You do need to keep your free chlorine levels up a lot higher 7 PPM according to the pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock .

I know you said you were going to clean the filter, you are doing that only when the pressure rises 25% from the clean pressure, correct?

harleysilo said:
We can't really say how much bleach you will need to complete the shock process, there are too many variables. You do need to keep your free chlorine levels up a lot higher 7 PPM according to the pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock .

I know you said you were going to clean the filter, you are doing that only when the pressure rises 25% from the clean pressure, correct?
Actually, my pressure gage is broken. I'm replacing it today, and will have to clean filters to get a clean reading. I want CYA to get a bit lower, so am going to change water one last time. I will probably get to shocking tomorrow. More bleach going in now to maintain FC.

I see a lot of posts like "there are too many variables" to let someone know how much bleach to buy for shock. I'm not suggesting that you say, put this exact amount in, I'm asking, should I have on hand? 5 gallons, 20 gallons, or say 50 gallons, or 100 gallons. Someone said that one gallon in a 28K raises their FC 3 - ppm. I want a 24 reading at my current CYA of 60... so around 8 gallons, maybe more... and then even more to maintain it. And then I'm hearing once the shock has happened, about 5 to 6 gallons a week. That's quite a bit of bleach...

Roughly, for a 28K pool, how much bleach should I be buying to say get through the shock process + 1 month of maintance? I want to understand this correctly.

Where do most people store this amount of bleach, or even buy it? I can't seem to find threads that describe the overall amount a bleach a balanced pool will consume in a month/season.

Thanks for the help again!

I'm sorry i can't be more specific about the bleach, I have a SWG (Salt water chlorine generator). I did my 10 jugs of bleach thinking i needed it.....i store it in my garage. I have read that bleach losses potency over time, but don't know how much it losses, or what time frame people are talking about. If i had to say, i'd start with 20 bottles in your situation.

Are you a far drive from a store or something?

harleysilo said:
I'm sorry i can't be more specific about the bleach, I have a SWG (Salt water chlorine generator). I did my 10 jugs of bleach thinking i needed it.....i store it in my garage. I have read that bleach losses potency over time, but don't know how much it losses, or what time frame people are talking about. If i had to say, i'd start with 20 bottles in your situation.

Are you a far drive from a store or something?
Thanks! No not far from a store, but am thinking about acquiring larger, more potent varieties for this job.

Can you use calcium hypochlorite as your sanitizer as well?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.