Problem with spa skimmer

eemueller

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2013
SE Michigan
Hello all, new member here. From everything I've read here so far, this looks like a great site.

My problem is with my spa. If I close the valve on the skimmer suction line, and run the pump with only the main floor draining feeding it, everything is fine. However, as soon as I open the valve to start suction through the skimmer, the skimmer pot empties and air begins to be drawn into the system. Since the skimmer suction line draining the water, I know it's not plugged, so I don't understand why it's emptying the pot. My pool and spa are 8 years old, and this is the first time I've had this problem, so clearly, something has broken/leaked/changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a weir, and yes, it moves freely. As the pot empties, it lies more and more horizontally, until finally, when the pot is empty and the water is cascading to the bottom, it's lying almost perfectly flat. When I close the skimmer line valve, and the auto-filler refills the spa, it pops right back up.

The water level is fine. I've got a Levelor auto-filler watching that for me. However, I was premature on my assessment of the weir. I was just monkeying with it, and I was able to make it hang up if it got close to the fully closed position. I looks like the pot may have flexed inward a little at the top and is catching it. Is it possible to remove the weir without breaking it so I can trim it down a little? My other option would be to take some sand paper to the wall of the pot and try to ease it down. Thanks for both of your quick responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.