30ish pounds of beginnings and 6ish pounds of renewal

May 31, 2013
The idea of paying too much for the mineral springs is one that resonates with me too. And I too have been "poolstored" (which in and of itself is a term new to me.. )
So here is the question of alternative medicine for the pool comes up thus-Ly:

Is there a recipe equivalent for the 30ish pound bag of beginnings and 6ish pounds of renewal that would be equally effective at a much lower cost?? If so does anyone know what it is and can it be posted??

I would buy solar salt and such and be would mix it myself.

I have 5 bags of beginnings in storage and 30ish bags of renewal sitting in my storage that I would love to not have to replace with more of the same..

I have a 26000 gal pool with the mineral springs swg and t15 cartridge...
Thoughts??
MH

I am also a victim of being pool-stored into buying Beginnings and Renewal. I also bought the T-15 Cell you purchased so I have a bit of experience with this.

What you bought is a bunch of salt with some other chemicals added to it to increase CYA and stabilize the PH. The pool guys put the Beginnings in for me, but since the initial load was added I kept the case of Renewal they sold me in the box. I found I would be better off adding exactly what was needed (salt, muriatic acid, bleach, borax, or baking soda) than taking a risk of adding the bag of "stuff" that should magically keep my pool balanced.

Just use the pool calculator to determine how much salt needs to be added based on your current measurements. No need to worry about the mineral springs stuff, it is really just mostly salt. Read through pool school to learn about keeping your pool in balance the right way.

Also, you don't need to "replace" Beginnings. Salt doesn't evaporate from your pool, so it is basically in your pool for good unless you drain it. You will just need to add more salt over time to replace splash-out and backwashing.

I gotta tell ya, when I was building my pool last fall I had considered mineral springs and the pool store fought me tooth and nail when I showed them this website. They said very rudely" you'll be back in the spring, that BBB won't work". I did go back the day I opened my pool 3 weeks ago and showed them a crystal clear pool that has none of their chemicals in it (other than the muratic acid I purchased from them.) I used BBB to close my pool a week after it was done back in October and the only thing I had to do after taking off the cover and lots of vaccuming was test the water and add some bleach to get my FC back on track!

Do yourself a favor, read pool school then read it again. Print off the page that explains what each abbreviation means and order a good test kit. Testing yourself is the only way to go! Use the recommended levels for your type of pool(also in pool school). Add your info to your signature line and post your test results.
Listening to the experts on this forum and following pool school is the best thing I could have done for my pool, my peace of mind and my WALLET.
Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.