Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    harleysilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    1,924

    Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    50 people LOL. Pools perfect! Hot tub will be off limits after 9 kids destroyed it a couple weeks ago, cloudy for 2 days after! The good news is most parents are lame and won't swim but that's okay I will and they can keep my drink fresh!

    So well see what the pool looks like after 20 kids tear it up for several hours, last time with 20 people water looked great from above but underwater with googles I could tell clarity had been reduced.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

    Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Better you than me!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    64

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Harley, I am much like you- I don't mind being the only adult in the pool- even if no one else is in! Hah hah. Have a fun party!


    Bernie
    Bernie

    20,000 Gallon (16 x 32), IN ground, Vinyl Pool
    Hayward Single Speed 1-1/5 Hp Pump - 3/4 HP "Booster" (?) Polaris 280 Vacuum
    48 Sq Ft, 96 GPM, Diatomaceous Earth Filter
    Pool is approximately 15+ years old- Newer than 1985
    Hayward 300,000 BTU H300MV Heater (Milli-Volt UGH!!)

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    50 people LOL. Pools perfect! Hot tub will be off limits after 9 kids destroyed it a couple weeks ago, cloudy for 2 days after! The good news is most parents are lame and won't swim but that's okay I will and they can keep my drink fresh!

    So well see what the pool looks like after 20 kids tear it up for several hours, last time with 20 people water looked great from above but underwater with googles I could tell clarity had been reduced.....
    I believe the calculations last year worked out to something like .17 FC per swim-hour.
    20 kids for 4 hours will consume 13.6 FC. Let us know if that still holds true. :P
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,004

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Who on earth worked out a calculation for .17 FC loss per swim hour per swimmer? I'd like to see that work sheet!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Who on earth worked out a calculation for .17 FC loss per swim hour per swimmer? I'd like to see that work sheet!
    I don't recall. It was in some thread about the aftermath of a big party. It could have been higher, but for some reason, .17 is stuck in my head.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,004

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    I've never experienced that kind of loss on 20 person parties for sure. And that's even with finding lime slices floating in the skimmer!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    4knights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NE Kansas
    Posts
    416

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Only 50 people? I hold a 4th of July BBQ and Fireworks spectacular each year and have well over 150 folks show up. The old 18ft inflatable pool worked well for the kids but not the adults. This year will be our first 4th Party with the inground, looking forward to see how it goes. (if the water ever warms up, 76 degrees today)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    64

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    I am learning so much just reading here!

    Bernie
    Bernie

    20,000 Gallon (16 x 32), IN ground, Vinyl Pool
    Hayward Single Speed 1-1/5 Hp Pump - 3/4 HP "Booster" (?) Polaris 280 Vacuum
    48 Sq Ft, 96 GPM, Diatomaceous Earth Filter
    Pool is approximately 15+ years old- Newer than 1985
    Hayward 300,000 BTU H300MV Heater (Milli-Volt UGH!!)

  10. Back To Top    #10
    harleysilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    1,924

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4knights
    Only 50 people? I hold a 4th of July BBQ and Fireworks spectacular each year and have well over 150 folks show up. The old 18ft inflatable pool worked well for the kids but not the adults. This year will be our first 4th Party with the inground, looking forward to see how it goes. (if the water ever warms up, 76 degrees today)
    That's either one massive house or you set up giant party tents? I live in a subdivision, granted they are acre lots but that many cars would be a disaster, have to have shuttle service or something.

    Guess I'll hit the pool mid party with some bleach don't think the SWG will keep up.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

    Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,004

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    I'd bump the FC up a few extra points BEFORE the party.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Who on earth worked out a calculation for .17 FC loss per swim hour per swimmer? I'd like to see that work sheet!
    I don't recall. It was in some thread about the aftermath of a big party. It could have been higher, but for some reason, .17 is stuck in my head.
    It doesn't work that way. The amount of FC loss will depend not only on the number of bather-hours, but also on the volume of pool water. The better way to look at this is to figure 4 grams of chlorine (as ppm Cl2) per person-hour. 20 kids for 4 hours would be 80 person-hours so 320 grams of chlorine. Since the pool is 19,000 gallons which is 71,923 liters, then this is (1000 mg/g)*(320 g)/(71,923 L) = 4.4 mg/L or ppm FC. Now this assumes "normal" bathers. If the kids are urinating, then all bets are off and the chlorine usage can be far higher.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,004

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    chem geek to the rescue!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    jkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fairfield, ca
    Posts
    141

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Who on earth worked out a calculation for .17 FC loss per swim hour per swimmer? I'd like to see that work sheet!
    I don't recall. It was in some thread about the aftermath of a big party. It could have been higher, but for some reason, .17 is stuck in my head.
    It doesn't work that way. The amount of FC loss will depend not only on the number of bather-hours, but also on the volume of pool water. The better way to look at this is to figure 4 grams of chlorine (as ppm Cl2) per person-hour. 20 kids for 4 hours would be 80 person-hours so 320 grams of chlorine. Since the pool is 19,000 gallons which is 71,923 liters, then this is (1000 mg/g)*(320 g)/(71,923 L) = 4.4 mg/L or ppm FC. Now this assumes "normal" bathers. If the kids are urinating, then all bets are off and the chlorine usage can be far higher.
    Chemgeek,

    I think you left off part of the equation. What you left of was the amount of cannonballs vs the total amount of beer flops divided by pi then subtracted by the amount of drinks harley has thinking about how wrecked his pool might get.

    Jerry

    Pool Size: 20 x 40 Free Form Inground Plaster Pool w/ a shallow cove.
    Gallons : ~23K Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy e-pump 1.5HP
    Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump, AqualinkRS PDA4 Remote, Aqua-Pure SWG
    Jandy LED Pool Lights (2), Heliocol 500 Sq. Ft solar rack system

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    That's only 380 gallons per swimmer.

  16. Back To Top    #16
    harleysilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    1,924

    Re: Wife invited 50 people for 4 year old party WTH?!?

    So mostly kids just swimming, there were 23. Pool looks great, no chlorine loss, inch of splash out, and water is a little cloudy/fuzzy/hazy when viewing underwater with goggles. I think it's just gonna have to filter out, I don't think raising chlorine will help, it's at 5 ppm right now. I tested mid party and it was 5, so it never went down as far as I know, I had the SWG running of course but only at 50%, kids swam for 3 hours or so.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

    Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •