Pumps, volts, hp, no use - totally lost want new pump?

Re: Should I replace my pump with an IntelliFlo or a Max-Flo

Usually you would have to use high to fill the panels, then low should be able to keep water moving slowly.

The heat transfer is better at higher temperature differentials. Therefore you get more heat to the pool by heating a lot of water by a few degrees than very little water by a lot of degrees.

Usually any of the panels want around 1 to 1.5 gpm per 10 sqft of panel.

Isaac-1 said:
Alternatively maybe this will make more sense, don't think about heating the pool, think about it as moving heat from one place to another, in this case from the panels to the pool, your doing this by cooling the panels, the more water flow you have the cooler the panels will be. That heat from the panels you are removing has to go somewhere, and the only place for it to go is into the pool. Looking at it this way it may make more common sense that higher flow "cools" the panels more than lower flow.

Now this makes a lot of sense. Neat way of thinking about it.

Philip

Bama Rambler said:
Most people hard wire pumps so most pumps don't come with a cord and plug. It's pretty easy to add a cord and plug if you need to plug it in. On the 2-speed pumps you can buy a rear cover with a switch for stopping and switching speeds.

Hmm ... so pumps without cords do not have on/off switches or switches to flip between the two speeds? Is this the case for the Pentair 340204 Dynamo 1 HP 2-Speed pool pump? I asked about this pump in another thread so pardon the duplication.

Without an on/off switch the other alternative would be a pump from Waterway which has both switches. But it is not self priming and I don't know if that kind of pump would work with a pool that was 1/2 underground.

Philip

I don't really know if the Dynamo comes with a switch or not.

If the waterline is even with or above the pump suction it doesn't really need to be self priming as it'll have a flooded suction. Even though it's not self priming it'll lift water a little anyway.

Ok, I finally found out about the Dynamo. It does come with on/off switches as well as a switch to flip between low and high speeds. There is a 2-speed model that also comes with a power cord. The part number is 340060 for the standard plug version.

After all that I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts regarding the 2-speed pump approach, mainly because of my solar system. The automation involved is not trivial as the pump would have to start at high speed and then switch to low speed and hope the water flows properly to the panels.

I am beginning to think that going with something like a 1/2 HP Pentair Superflo (8.8amps@115v) would make more sense for the solar unit and would also be much quieter than my current 1HP Dynamo. Energy savings wouldn't be as much but that was never the goal in the first place. There seem to be many 1/2 in-ground pumps that would fit the bill and operate at 115v.

There may be other ways to silence the pump by using rubber and cork type material to minimize vibration noises. In any case my current Dynamo seems to know I want to replace it and has been working fine, but still too loud.

Philip

Considering a 2 speed pump

Please keep your questions in your own thread ... you are hijacking people all over the place. Thanks, jblizzle

This post split from HERE

jblizzle said:
Are you looking to buy a pump or a filter or both?

What size is you cartridge filter and we can tell you if the size is appropriate.

I would like to get a pump and a 100 or 150 sqft cartridge filter. The pump I have been looking at is a Pentair 1HP 2-speed Dynamo part # 340060. The cartridge filter would be the Hayward Xstream unless there is a better option. I guess I'd have to come up with a pad of sorts to hold both which would sit on the concrete slab. Unfortunately it's hard to come up with a system (pump+filter) which meets all the constraints.

Philip

Have you thought about just replacing the Dynamo motor or fixing the bearings? Failing bearings will cause noise on any pump and can be fixed by replacing the bearings or the motor. It would be a cheaper than replacing the entire pump plus there would not be any plumbing changes required.

Re: Pool pump

What size pool do you have? That determines the recommendation for filter size.

And you do not need a pad if there is already a concrete slab that everything will sit in.

Re: Do I want a 2 speed pump with solar panels?

I was about to replace my Pentair 1HP Dynamo with a 2-speed Pentair 1HP Dynamo with power cord. I want to be able to plug the pump into a GFCI outlet @ 115v and this would work. Would it make more sense to use a 1/2 HP Pentair Superflo in terms of noise and easier solar automation? Our pump runs 7 hours a day and then shuts off via a mechanical timer in the breaker box. If the pump were on low speed when it shuts down then it would have problems starting everything up again at low speed unless it automatically switched to hi on shutdown. Also, the Suplerflo seems to run at 8.8amps@115v which is much lower than the Dynamo. Price of the pumps are similar for us and electricity is pretty inexpensive. Noise is the primary issue.

Hard wiring the pump with a conduit is not much more than adding a longer wired plug and it means you have the all of the wire inside of a waterproof conduit. A cord laying on ground is subject to more environmental stress (sun, rain, snow, tripping hazard).

I don't see the big issue.

Do you have more than one CIRCUIT going to the pool panel or is it simply 4 outlets in one circuit? If you have multiple circuits, you could change to 220V if you chose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
techguy said:
Hard wiring the pump with a conduit is not much more than adding a longer wired plug and it means you have the all of the wire inside of a waterproof conduit. A cord laying on ground is subject to more environmental stress (sun, rain, snow, tripping hazard).

I don't see the big issue.

Do you have more than one CIRCUIT going to the pool panel or is it simply 4 outlets in one circuit? If you have multiple circuits, you could change to 220V if you chose.

There are two circuits. The quotes I have gotten regarding the 220v line are all over the map so I just put that idea on hold.

I can see that hard wiring the pump has its advantages. The plug route just seemed simpler since everything is set up that way.

Re: Considering a 2 speed pump

pmcd said:
Please keep your questions in your own thread ... you are hijacking people all over the place. Thanks, jblizzle

Sorry about that. There just seemed to be certain threads which emphasized different matters. For example, the one you cite talks about solar and 2-speed pumps. Did not mean to hijack anyone's thread. This thread was mainly about HP.flow, voltage... There are threads specializing in on-ground pools, above ground, solar, etc ... It does get a bit overwhelming as to where one should post what.

Will stick to my walled enclosure :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.