umbrella sleeve a little too big, causes umbrella to spin

We put a couple of umbrella sleeves in our new pool but for some reason they're not a snug fit. It's not a problem for our round umbrella since it's round, but our rectangular one on the tanning ledge slowly spins with the wind and ends up cock-eyed. I thought about getting some small rubber wedges and tapping them down there. Or maybe a rubber washer. Has anyone else experience this or found a solutions??

THANKS.

Re: umbrella sleeve a little too big, causes umbrella to spi

A washer might not do the trick- something like an umbrella in the wind can get a bit more power than a washer would be able to handle for any length of time. Any time I've run into a problem like this, whether it's construction, landscaping or IT work, I've always relied on wedges. I don't see why that wouldn't work here. The key will be that you can remove the wedges (and thus the umbrella) whenever needed.
That's n00bvice, though. It's subject to older, wiser heads.

I'd try making some wedges out of plastic cutting board material. A jigsaw and drill with a hole saw, you could make a nice one with a hole for your finger to pull it out with.

What material is the sleeve on the inside?

Okay so a wedge may damage the PVC. How about trying some wraps of duct tape?

I don't really see a fool proof solution here.

If you did the wedge idea, you'd want it to be inserted the same location every time, and possible removing a section of the threads, a cut down into the sleeve, would allow for the threaded cap to screw back on , vs pushing the wedge in and messing up the threads. A slot for the wedge in the umbrella would help too if it's wood, maybe even metal but I don't know how you'd cut it, maybe a 4" cutoff wheel on a grinder and plunge cut it. Ultimately it would act like a pin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.