Grass under pool and SWG with Ultra Frame

May 31, 2013
We have had an 18' Intex easy set pool for a few years and just upgraded to the 16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame. At our new house, the pool is going in an area that is currently partly grass and partly compacted dirt. Removing the sod is not an option for a bunch of reasons, so the question is, can we leave the grass and put a layer of sand on top to level it and then a heavy tarp or do I need to kill the grass first before the sand and tarp? It is not a nasty, invasive grass. I am really hoping to put up the pool tomorrow, so I'm hoping that it will be fine to leave it alive, mow it really short and just add the sand and tarp on top.

Second question - can I run a SWG with an ultra frame without worrying about rust? We are in Oregon, so we don't have high humidity to deal with. Also, my SWG does have the copper ionizer in it. My kids are white blondes and we had a problem with green hair with our other pool. If I disconnect the ionizer (not sure this is even possible), how does the SWG make chlorine? About how many hours a day does it need to run for that size pool? Maybe we were running it too much every day?? Our other option would be to do Baquacil - I'm not going the bleach in the pool route.

Please help! I really want to get this thing up!

Welcome to tfp, jansenk511 :wave:

I would remove the sod and dig the area down to the lowest point. Sand is not a great material to level with, it tends to erode away.

We have many users with swgs and the intex ultra...a few have experienced rust, but many haven't.

Definitely unplug the copper bars (this is an intex swg?), they have nothing to do with the swgs chlorine production. The chlorine is generated at the plate that are upstream from the copper bars.

jansenk511 said:
About how many hours a day does it need to run for that size pool?
There are too many different factors to be able to make a general statement. You will have to test your pool to know if you have enough FC (free chlorine) in it. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

jansenk511 said:
Maybe we were running it too much every day??
Look at this pool school article on swg water balance recommendations: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator...by the way, the green hair is all about the copper, your pool may or may not have enough chlorine in it from the swg.

jansenk511 said:
Our other option would be to do Baquacil - I'm not going the bleach in the pool route.
Using a swg is a chlorine pool. In the swg case, that adds the chlorine, which is basically the active component in bleach.

Thanks for the reply! We have it all set up but not enough water in it yet to check the filters. We just upgraded to a sand filter and will run it with an Intex SWG. My question is - are there instructions somewhere for how to disconnect the copper bars? My husband follows directions well, but isn't inherently handy to just figure it out. :)

It is pretty easy to do...with the display facing you, the copper bars are on the left. You just unscrew the retaining nut on the electrical cable and then pull the cable off and just leave it hanging.

Thanks again! I think we figured it all out - we will find out tomorrow when we run it all together.

We also bought an Intex sand filter. What do I need to get the larger debris (bugs, grass, etc.) filtered out of the pool? The intake screen that connects inside the pool is so small that it isn't getting any of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.