This is my first season as a DIY pool guy. I got a lot of great help on the introduction forum with getting started with the shock process - THANK YOU!
I started the shock process last thursday: dissolving 4lbs of CYA in a sock to reach a CYA of 30, then started shocking friday morning - with a target FC of 12. My test/dose results are as follows:
5/24@0700: added 290 oz bleach (go from current to 12 [shock level])
5/24@1500: FC(7), CC(8), added 121 oz
5/24@2000: FC(6), CC(11), added 121 oz
5/25@1300: FC(11), CC(5), added 32 oz, put on solar cover bcuz we were leaving until monday evening
5/27@2000: FC(8), CC(3), added 100 oz, removed cover, pool is crystal clear
5/29@2030: FC(6), CC(3.5), swimmers eyes burning, did not add anything
5/30@2030: basic test [Cl(3 - 4), Ph(7.5)]
I have read the pool school articles for both the shock process and overnight test. Based on my results and those articles, I have not completed the shock process because the CC never reached 1.0 or less and I have not done the overnight test. However, seeing that we're in 90+ degrees right now, we're gonna use the pool, but shocking is a major inconvenience to my kids who want to swim.
What do you recommend? Should I start back into the shock process over the weekend - since my numbers seem pretty good - and just tell them NOT to open their eyes when swimming? Or, are the levels good enough to do daily testing? I don't want to do the pool half-*****ed, so if not completing the shock process will cause problems - please LET ME KNOW!