Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove old unions and replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to remove old unions and replace?

I have a cracked union for my intellichlor IC40. How do I remove the old one and attach a new one? I have the replacement but there are not any instructions on how to proceed. I need advice on removing the coupling from the pipes. They are attached with a blue glue and then I need to know what type of glue to use to reattach.
    Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: How to remove old unions and replace?

You will likely have to cut out a section of the PVC pipe (using a hack saw or similar powered saw) and patch in a replacement section of pipe. When working with PVC it is best to use primer first, then cement, if old are dirty PVC use cleaner, then primer, then cement. Primer comes in clear and purple, most commonly found is purple, it is messy though, (purple dye is used so inspectors can confirm primer was used), for cement I suggest using the Blue "rain or shine" cement which will cure if wet unlike clear cement. Working time for PVC cement is only a few seconds (shorter the warmer the weather) so work fast. Some fittings (mostly black ones), work better with orange CPVC universal cement, but even on these it is possible to get reasonable results using the blue rain or shine cement.

p.s. there are various youtube videos that show to work with pvc pool plumbing
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Seattle, WA

Re: How to remove old unions and replace?

There is a method demonstrated on YouTube to salvage certain types of PVC components. I've done this successfully, however it does create toxic fumes, so only do this outdoors and with the wind blowing away from you.

I'd recommend doing this as a last resort and it's only for someone with good mechanical skills - an Aussie accent probably helps. There's several other similar videos on YouTube.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.