Big Rain - Muddy Water - Run Filter or Let it Settle?

May 1, 2013
For starters, this is my first season with a pool. We moved into the house last fall. This forum has been great and I feel I have learned a lot.

We got over 3" of rain in 1 hour this morning. Needless to say, my pool clarity is very minimal to other's problems today. But, I had a bare spot on my lawn from where I had done work and a lot of dirt from this area washed in to the pool. I got out all the debris, drained the pool down to an acceptable level, turned on my pump to filter, and started running my Dolphin.

I realize this will take time, but it is worth mentioning that nothing has changed with the clarity. After reading numerous discussions on the forum, I started thinking it might be a better idea to turn off the pump and let the particulates creating the cloudiness drop to the bottom. After they drop, I could let the Dolphin go to clean it up. I do not have a hose and handheld sweeper, so vacuuming to waste is not currently an option.

All of my levels are currently on target, CL, PH, Alkalinity, CYA, Salt. So other than the cloudiness, the water is ready to go.

What is your opinion on getting this cleared up the quickest? Keep running the pump/filter and the Dolphin? Let the debris settle and try to sweep up with Dolphin (not sure if particulates are too fine for debris bag)? Any advice you have for getting water runoff out of the pool is appreciated. Thanks.

I would suggest adding DE to the filter. It will help speed up the process; just keep an eye on the pressure gauge. If it's that cloudy, the pressure should rise quickly with the DE added to the filter. Check out the link in Pool School for adding DE to the sand filter.

I'm a believer in DE since I used it to "clear up" a problem earlier this season.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Pardon my skepticism ... but it is ingrained after being on the forum so long ...
Please post the actual test results, not just that they are "on target", and what test kit you used.

Likely it could just be patience needed for the sand filter to catch everything, even aided with the DE, but it is nice to be sure based on data.

I was going to try the DE but the pool store was closed and I needed to wait until morning. When morning rolled around, the pool had improved a bit. A day after that, it had returned to almost normal. I ran the pump to filter for an extended period and backwashed when necessary. Along with that, I ran the Dolphin a few times to clean up the bottom. Not much more to it. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it won't be the last time I need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.