Hi! Question about spacing chemicals

May 31, 2013
Virginia
Howdy! I am a pool newbie - bought our house in February and just opened (well, drained the leafy froggy swamp water, power washed, and filled) our pool two weeks ago. So far so good, nice crystal clear water. I stumbled upon using the BBB method by accident. I got "pool stored", came home, researched what exactly these chemicals were and what and why I was adding them, and discovered they were common household ingredients! Talk about feeling ripped. I told my husband I don't understand why anyone with half a brain doesn't realize that "Leslie's Alkalinity Up" at $16 for a 5 lb bucket wasn't simply baking soda (Walmart - 12 pounds for $7). Which led me to this awesome forum.

Anyways, I have read pages and pages of questions here but can't find what I'm looking for. A few questions:

1. According to the pool store, all these chemicals should be added 4 hours apart. Is this really correct? (I don't trust them anymore). If not, what is the correct spacing.

2. How long after adding stuff (especially muriatic/dry acid) is it safe to enter the pool? I know chlorine is safe almost immediately.

3. I have a gunnite pool that is painted, so am I correct in adding/maintaining calcium? Currently it is 200, just a touch low, and I still have half a jug left. Should I add more.

Thanks so much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

1) Why trust them on anything ;) Kind of depends on which chemicals, but generally 30-60 minutes is more than enough
2) Again 60 minutes is plenty since the acid will be quickly dispersed through the water.
3) I would think using the plaster recommendations would be correct in your situation. 200ppm is not really that low and if the pH is kept around 7.5 or high you are fine. Evaporation will result in the CH slowly climbing as well.

We generally say you are safe to swim when:
1. FC > minimum for your CYA
2. FC < shock level for your CYA
3. CC at or < 0.5
4. Water is clear
5. pH is in range (for comfort)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.