Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi! Question about spacing chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi! Question about spacing chemicals

Howdy! I am a pool newbie - bought our house in February and just opened (well, drained the leafy froggy swamp water, power washed, and filled) our pool two weeks ago. So far so good, nice crystal clear water. I stumbled upon using the BBB method by accident. I got "pool stored", came home, researched what exactly these chemicals were and what and why I was adding them, and discovered they were common household ingredients! Talk about feeling ripped. I told my husband I don't understand why anyone with half a brain doesn't realize that "Leslie's Alkalinity Up" at $16 for a 5 lb bucket wasn't simply baking soda (Walmart - 12 pounds for $7). Which led me to this awesome forum.

Anyways, I have read pages and pages of questions here but can't find what I'm looking for. A few questions:

1. According to the pool store, all these chemicals should be added 4 hours apart. Is this really correct? (I don't trust them anymore). If not, what is the correct spacing.

2. How long after adding stuff (especially muriatic/dry acid) is it safe to enter the pool? I know chlorine is safe almost immediately.

3. I have a gunnite pool that is painted, so am I correct in adding/maintaining calcium? Currently it is 200, just a touch low, and I still have half a jug left. Should I add more.

Thanks so much!
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi! Question about spacing chemicals

Welcome to TFP!!!

1) Why trust them on anything Kind of depends on which chemicals, but generally 30-60 minutes is more than enough
    2) Again 60 minutes is plenty since the acid will be quickly dispersed through the water.
    3) I would think using the plaster recommendations would be correct in your situation. 200ppm is not really that low and if the pH is kept around 7.5 or high you are fine. Evaporation will result in the CH slowly climbing as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow fast reply! Thanks so much! Glad to know it's only 60 minutes at most - I kept everyone out of the pool for the first two days while everything was being added and balancing out. That was torture for the kids!
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

We generally say you are safe to swim when:
    1. FC > minimum for your CYA
    2. FC < shock level for your CYA
    3. CC at or < 0.5
    4. Water is clear
    5. pH is in range (for comfort)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!