Can I convert pressure side to return?

May 16, 2013
Hi all.

I have just converted over to a robotic system, leaving my pressure-side unit at this point an antiquated .

I am reworking the remainder of the pad this weekend, and will be converting the rest over to 2" (including the section that "T's" off the return line and goes to the pump supplying the pressure inlet).

The question I have is whether or not I can just convert the pressure inlet into a standard return, or what I should do with it, knowing that I will no longer be using the pressure pump. I would ultimately like to remove the pump from the pad altogether.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Sure you can just plumb it in as another return. Curious, what size pipe is it? Often booster pump cleaner lines are smaller ... although does not affect making it just a regular return.

Or you could just cap it ... but then you will have stagnant water in it.

It seems odd to me. There is a 1 1/2" line that T's off right before it goes to the returns, and then has an adapter that looks like it converts down to 3/4"' to enter the pump, and then coming off the pump it converts back to 1 1/2".

My theory is since I'm replumbing the pad to 2" is to use a 2" and then convert back to 1 1/2" right before the line goes into the ground.

I don't know if in the future I could use this for something else cool (like a water feature or something), which is why I just didn't want to cap it off.

Likely you can only use it for a cleaner or a wall suction line (but you already seem to have plenty of those).

Booster pumps run on low flow and high pressure, therefore the pipes are usually smaller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.