re-routing pipes recommendation

Apr 22, 2013
Hello All,

So I had to dig my pipes up to find a leak and found instead quite a mess (and a leak).

I count 5 turns in the return line. It seems to me I can reduce this to just 2 turns by keeping the T fittings in line with the pipe coming from the filter. In other words, by rotating the set of 3 T joints 90 degrees counter clockwise (plan view). I hope this is clear. See the pic.

I also want to replace the 1 inch pipe with 1.5 inch. pipe.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or suggestions regarding these changes. Am I on the right track here...

thanks!!!

What are the 3 returns pipes for?
Why do you need the 1" line to be bigger?
Are you going to use actual pool valves on them?

Removing a few turns is not really going to reduce the headloss that much. It is fine if you are going to redo it anyway, but not likely needed.

Thanks for your input! Huh! I didnt realize that I didnt have proper pool valves. How are they different from the valves I have now. Forgive my ignorance, this is my first pool and its only been a month. Tons of stuff to learn...

My pool has 3 underwater return jets and one above water level return jet. Also a main drain and a skimmer. No pressure side cleaners or any other features.

The return lines from left to right are:

1. Going to 3 return jets in three different corners of the pool. This is 2 inch pipe
2. I do not know where this goes, turning it on or off makes no difference to anything. This is 1.5 inch pipe. Any suggestions.
3. Goes to return jet in middle of pool that is above water level. This is the i inch pipe. This is the pipe that is busted. The previous owner had the other two turned off and only this return active. I suspect this is what broke this pipe.

If you can not tell where the water is going for the middle pipe, there is no way I can ;) Are you sure it is not capped off somewhere? If you only have it open do your still get flow through the pump or does the suction stop?

I see no reason to increase the 1" pipe size if it is just to shoot a little water above the waterline.

Pool valves are like the Jandy Neverlube ... they are just more robust and less likely to break and are rebuildable ... of course they are much more expensive too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.