Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE to a Sand Filter Vs. Chemical Approach

1. Back To Top    #1

DE to a Sand Filter Vs. Chemical Approach

I have a 23,000 gallon in-ground vinyl liner swimming. Pool is slow (almost two weeks) in clearing. I can now see shallow bottom and slightly down the drop but still not able to see drain at 8 feet down. I am able to hold chlorine and PH at any level I need (Shock or normal) for extended time. Only use liquid CL. CYA is 50, No algae just clear/blue but cloudy. Pump pressure only peaked once in 2 weeks. Pump runs 7 x 24. Alkalinity is high (170).

I am thinking about adding a slight amount of DE to my sand filter to improve filter efficiency.

What about chemical products such as pool polish, a natural clarifier that uses natural ingredients such as Chitosan, PowerFloc or additional filters at the skimmer?

Looking for opinions.

KK
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE to a Sand Filter Vs. Chemical Approach

The chemicals seem to be hit or miss ... sometimes they help, other times they make things worse ... and they are not cheap.

I would try the DE first.

When was the last time you inspected and used a hose to wash the sand: my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have never inspected the sand filter. I just read the link you provided. Last time sand filter was changed was May 2007. Reads like that should be my next step.
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Likely no need to change the sand, but good to inspect it, clean it, and resettle it every year. You will likely be surprised by the amount of gunk that overflows out even after backwashing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Dad was having the same issue, cloudy water not clearing, pump pressure not increasing. A few additions of DE to his sand filter took care of it promptly.

6. Back To Top    #6

a little DE does the trick thanks.
    Kenbob