Problem with new pump

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Can’t figure out a problem with air in the pump basket.
New Hayward matrix 1 hp two speed pump on AG pool with lomart skimmer.
Last pump only lasted 3 years ¾ hp superpump which was a in ground model.
Before that 10 years with a Jacuzzi 1 hp AG model. Still same Jacuzzi sand filter but understand from this forum it was really only rated for a ¾ hp pump, not the 1 hp it came with.
Anyway if I put on high it takes about 20 minutes for all the air to go away. Then change to low speed. After an hour have a pea size air bubble. After a few days (timer on for 9 hours a day) I then have air bubble so big about 1” to 1 ½” from the top of cover is all air. On low I can actually remove the cover while it is running without losing any water.
Have replaced the whole cover. Replaced the return hose and suction side fitting on the pump. Tried to spray food coloring all around all fittings including pump drain plug.

Other wise pool is staying clear for now. And should mention this is an AG pool but is 20” buried in the ground. So bottom of lomart skimmer is about level with the Top of the pool pump cover. 6 ft. of hose from skimmer to the pump.

Any suggestions or am I being too picky and should live with it. Could try to return since pump only about a month old.

Thanks

Seems pretty normal for air to accumulate in the pumps on low speed. Mine does it as well. Are you getting a buildup of air in the filter or actually seeing any make it back to the pool? If not, I think it is just something to live with as long as you are not losing prime.

If the water level in the strainer basket is above the pump suction there should not be a problem. I have an air layer in my pump that keeps the water level about 1" from the top of the strainer basket. It's been that way for several years and does not cause any problems. If the water level is at or below the suction it will likely damage the seal and may damage the impeller.

jblizzle said:
Seems pretty normal for air to accumulate in the pumps on low speed. Mine does it as well. Are you getting a buildup of air in the filter or actually seeing any make it back to the pool? If not, I think it is just something to live with as long as you are not losing prime.

Great thanks to all replys. No air going back to pool or in filter. Just had a pool over 20 years and always taught there was a problem if any air in the pump. But have always had higher hp pumps.
Water level is also above the inlet to pump in the basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.