May 31, 2013
Lindale, Texas
FC=0
TC=0
pH=7.4
TA=117 ppm
CH=70 ppm
CYA=10 ppm

Been a lurker for some time and, found great information and discussion. Prior to these test measurements, we added 16 pounds of alum in an effort to clear up the cloudiness. The alum did not settle. While waiting on the alum to settle, algae was observed. Added 3 bottles of black algecide and 9 pounds of shock. Have kept pump on since, save for backwashing usually once a day. Small amounts of foam observed on water's surface (about 10%) as well as effluent when backwashing. I know there are leaves and dirt in the deep end (9') that I cannot see to remove despite my efforts. Water still remains cloudy. Any recommendations?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

What test kit did you use to get those results?

bobby85 said:
Any recommendations?

Read Pool School (button at the upper right) to understand the chemisty. You need to follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS ... it is not a one-time throw some powder in the water thing.

Speaking of, what is the ingredient in the powder you have been using? It could be adding CYA very quickly which eventually is a bad thing.

I do not have one of the recommended test kits yet. I took a sample and had it tested to get these results.

The shock is HTH Super shock 'n swim which shows the following:
Active ingredient:
Calcium Hypochlorite 52%
Inert ingredients 48%
TOTAL 100%
Available Chlorine 49%

On the plus side, that powder is adding Calcium and not stabilizer ... although with a vinyl pool you do not need the calcium either, but your CH level is low enough that more will not hurt.

On the minus side, pool store testing is historically inaccurate and non-repeatable. To truly take control of the pool, the best investment you can make would be one of the recommended test kits ... it will likely pay for itself after just one skipped trip to the pool store for chemicals.

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Just realize that you are unlikely to find it locally unless you have a commercial pool supply house. Nearly all retail pool stores do not carry the FAS-DPD test kits and most of the employees likely will have no idea what you are talking about ... it is NOT the same as the DPD test kit.

As they suggest, read the pool school.

It would appear you need to up your CYA to roughly 30-40. Shock value should be roughly 12 if I recall. Starting adding bleach or liquid chlorine, and maintain 12 until clear. It works.

Best place to find chlorine (at least in my local area) is either Menards for the 12.5% stuff, or Aldi's for the 6% jugs. Aldi's is cheaper, but Menards is more convenient as it takes half the number of jugs to accomplish the same goal with regular concentrate chlorine. IE - Instead of 16 jugs in the garage, I can do the same thing with 8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.