New pool, just got my TF-100 need advice

4myBitsy

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2013
Milford, CT
We have just put up a pool filled it from the hose about 2 weeks ago. Brought water to our local pool store. Added what they told me to add to get the PH, TA, CH, CYA & algicide where they said it should be. They talked my into the Susatin pool chemical so right now that is what I am using. A week ago I found this website & have been reading like crazy. I added the shock tablets last night. I received my TF-100 test kit today & these are my first readings.

FC 38 drops x .05 = 1.9
CC 9 drops x .5 = 4.5
PH 7.6
TA 130
CH 200
CYA 20

I'm a little confused with calculating my chlorine reading, that's why I wrote it out. After reading through the website it seems like the BBB method is the way to go but since I have already bought the Sustain system I want to finish them before I switch. Any advice would be great. Also, where should me chlorine levels be & how high is to high to swim?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

If you used a 10ml sample for the FC and CC test, then you multiply by 0.5 for both ... meaning your FC is 19ppm.

There is no need for algaecide. I do not know what the Sustain system is ... what is it adding to your pool. If you do not know, then I would not use it. The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Currently your FC is way too high (double the shock level) for your CYA level. But since you have high CC, you need to go through the shock PROCESS as described here: Shocking Your Pool

Read the rest of Pool School ... and you are going to have to quickly decide if you are going to follow the advice from here ... or the sales tactics from the pool store.

Ok so I don't understand what to do to follow the shock process you noted since my FC is 19ppm. According to the chart to shock it I bring the level to 10ppm. So what is my next step?
The Sustain product says it is Cal-Hypo.

Cal-hypo adds calcium to the pool. Your pool is vinyl so you really have no minimum required CH level ... infact you are already up to 200ppm. You can use it, but will have to pay close attention to your pH to avoid calcium scale staining on you pool.

Better to use liquid chlorine that has no negative side-effects.

When I do the chlorine test with th TF-100 do I minus one drop out or not? The written direction don't say that but when I watched the video on their website it says minus one drop out and them multiply bu .05.
I did the Chlorine again a few hours after the first test & got:
FC 15
CC 6
I brought a water sample to the pool store & their computer gave me:
TC 7.8
FC 7.8
PH 7.8
TA 175
CH 250
CYA 40
I feel like I have read so much information & I don't know what to do. I am worried I am doing the tests wrong. I also read someone elses thread about switching from Sustain to BBB & someone wrote it was OK as long as the summer sheild wasen't added. I added the summer sheild last week. Money wise I am hoping to stay with Sustain just because I don't have money to waste.

Trust your own testing ... don't confuse yourself by going to the pool store.

You add drops until the last drop does not change the color ... that last drop does not count.
And you multiply by 0.5 ... NOT .05

You CH is plenty low, so you can use the cal-hypo, you just do not really want the CH to get much above 400ppm as then things can get a little more complicated.

I would maybe suggest alternating the use of the cal-hypo and liquid chlorine so the CH does not climb too fast. Once the cal-hypo is gone, then just stick to liquid ... it is cheaper anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.