PA- New DIY Lagoon please feel free to Review and Comment

Duk007

Dec 30, 2012
After years of not so subtle hints from my wife and children I finally broke down and decided to install an in-ground pool this year. I have received three or four quotes from local pool builders and with a $10-$30K swing in price for basically the same thing I really struggled with who to choose. I'm in the home-improvement industry and I've seen a lot of local pool installations with varying levels of quality despite the amount of money that has been spent on them. I really have a hard time justifying a $30,000- $40,000 expense on something that has mediocre workmanship. So I determined the best solution is for me to do some of it myself and subcontract out the specialized things like the bottom and excavation. I've done lots of research and thanks to this site think I'm on the right track, however I would certainly appreciate everyone's input on my choices.

Pool:

20x43x37 custom Lagoon (steel w vinyl liner) 36K Gallons
2 main drains 2 skimmers and 3 returns
Liner TBD (lathem or megna? Ultra seam?
8' radius (alps manufacturing) Blue Steps w/ at least 2 additional returns maybe spa jets
All ordered from Royal Swimming Pools

Equipment still undecided ,but so far:

All Pentair:

3hp Intelliflow VS (Do I need this much HP now, no...but will I need it in the future if I add water features like deck jets or laminers plus a slide?) My energy rats are low 6.2 cents a kW

Quad DE 60-80 Best of both worlds DE plus cart. ?
Easy touch w/ power center 4 function
Intellichlor salt system
(2) 5g Intelibrite 12v LED
4-6 deck jets or maybe 3 laminars from Pentair??

Future:
Master temp NG 400000 BTU heater
Slide of some sort
Safety cover before winter

Re: PA- New DIY Lagoon please feel free to Review and Commen

i suggest a solid cover with a mesh square in the middle , not a full mesh. The mesh lets in light and turns it a nice green over winter. 3hp will chew up the electric for sure but you'll move some water with the right piping. I have 4 deck jets and 2 come out nice and smooth and 2 full but eratically. The 2 smooth ones have longer verical runs of 3/4 pipe, maybe thats the reason?

Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't a varitable speed pump resolve the power consumption issue?

I guess the real question is does it make more sense to run an smaller 2 speed pump and an extra pump for the water features or one big varitable speed pump with automation and electronic valve actuators...

Duk007 said:
Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't a varitable speed pump resolve the power consumption issue?

I guess the real question is does it make more sense to run an smaller 2 speed pump and an extra pump for the water features or one big varitable speed pump with automation and electronic valve actuators...

thats above my pay grade. others on here could certainly answer that.... maybe in the pumping section?

Duk007 said:

I think the variable speed would give you the best options. I have the Hayward Ecostar and love it.

I have 4 speeds set.

1. 1200rpm which is right around 200 watts. I use this for filtering 6 hours a day.
2 1600rpm which is around 400 watts I believe. I use this for filtering 3 hours a day
3. 2200 rpm. Which is right at 1000 watts. I use this for filtering one hour a day and when I want to run my 4 deck jets.
4. 3400 rpm which is around 1800 watts. I use this 45 minutes a day just to move a lot of water right before dark just incase anything needs skimming off the top. I also use this when I want to run my deck jets and 6 spa jets in my cozy cove.

If you are going to have a bunch of different things that need different speeds I think the VS pumps are the best bang for you buck even if your electricity rates are low. Thats just my opinion though. Especially when you figure in buying 2 pumps, plumbing in 2 pumps , wiring up 2 pumps. I would personally just have to deal with 1 that can do it all and then some while saving you a few $$ a month. At .6 kwh running around 12-1300 rpms your talking about running your pool for less than $.20 a day granted you only run it 10 hours.

Also you will like royal. That's who I got all my stuff from. Good people that do what they say. GL on the pool.

I think the VS pumps are the best bang for you buck even if your electricity rates are low.
I would agree with kyle! In addition, you can program VS itself without any external timers/control systems. And you can't hear VS pump running on lower RPMs. I can't say that about my older 2 speed pump I'm using for hot tub. I believe VS are using induction type motors, which is completely different to what is used in 2 speed pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.