Hayward Induced Draft Heater H-100 any good?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Aside from getting advice on gas service, I need to know if anyone knows of this Hayward Induced Draft gas/propane heater. I did a Search of various terms and came up empty.

My pool was installed 5 years ago and the same installer is recommending this as basically the only real option for 100,000BTU heater - I want to use NG and not propane. This unit does both. He wants $1,500-1,700 installed, which seems ok, since the heater appears to go for @ $1,200. However, I want to know more about the unit, it's track record, etc. I'm getting the sense that it's new to the market, and I hate first year anything. I know the H Series has been around, but the induce draft has me concerned.

Any thoughts on this unit:

H-Series

ITEM # SERIESH

Description

No pilot light equals no hassle! Hayward has developed an induced draft heater for aboveground pools and spas that combines state-of-the-art technology with ease of operation and superior performance. Featuring an electronic, direct spark ignition system and an energy-efficient FireTile® lined combustion chamber, the Hayward heater provides 100,000 BTU input, while delivering 81% thermal efficiency and quick heating.

•Induced draft technology ensures optimum heating and performance, even in high wind situations
•Reduced emissions design provides environment friendly heating
•FireTile® combustion chamber ensures quick heating
•Jet-ported Eugenox burners provide long life and easy maintenance
•One-piece copper header/heat exchanger for leak-free performance
•Cool-to-the-touch cabinet surface temperature ensures worry-free use
120-volt electric cord for easy installation

This is the same heater I use. It has been around for a while now. Mine is probably 7-8 years old. Had two problems over the years. First was the control board inside the unit. The power connection pins appearantly were not soldered very well from the manufacturer. The joints around them cracked and lost connection. I was able to resolder them and fix it. The other problem I had is a couple of leaks in the heat exchanger. This is not a problem that Hayward caused but, one of my own doing. MY totalk alcalinity got way out of wack a couple years ago and caused my pool to alge up real bad. To combat the problem I shoched the Crud out of it several times. I think the high chlorine levels along with the goofy swings in the Ph caused some pitting in th ecopper parts. I have been able to fix them up to now.

I have seen that heater sold online as low as $800.00 recently

That heater with your size pool will be perfect. I'm researching a heater for my pool also, and it looks like the biggest expense with NG heaters (after the price of the heater) is getting the gas line installed. If he's installing the gas and water plumbing for that price, it sounds like a good deal.

Dan

Thanks, but he's not installing the line. He said between $1,500 - $1,700 for parts and materials, after the line has been run. He said we was padding about $200, because he hasn't seen the location...well, in 5 years anyway. Even at $1,500, it sounds high. That's $600 for parts/labor, although I'm guessing he's talking about a pad to sit it on as well, leveling, etc. Anyway, once the gas line is run and the fact that this unit plugs into 120V, I'm wondering how hard it would be to install?

I installed a small gas heater myself and it wasn't hard (my father-in-law worked for PECO Energy for years and had all of the brushes, goop, etc.). So I'm confident of making the gas connection from heater to the line. I guess it's more about how much sweat I want to break...or more importantly, how long my wife will wait until I can find the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.