can't seem to get a balance

May 13, 2013
Kind of new to actual pool ownership, been around them all my life. Just can't seem to get a handle on my water this year, any and all suggestions welcome!
I am running the pump 8-10 hrs a day, and SWG for 6. After I turn off pump mostly at night, the next morning little white things are floating in the pool, turn on pump and they're gone.

FC - 1
PH - 7.4
TA-110
CH-200
Cya-0
Copper - 0.2
Salt (done with test strip) - 3,000

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! :wave:

The white stuff could just be pollen. Try using the search box for it and do some reading on past threads. Here's a head start. You might want to try using pollen as another term.

I see low FC, low CYA, and high copper in your results. Were they done with test strips?

file.php

Definitely raising the CYA will help the SWG maintain FC levels. Before you raise all the way up to the SWG recommended CYA levels you will want to verify whether you need to perform the shock process at a lower CYA level

fireman3406 said:
And I would know whether or not I need to shock by doing what? I've read Pool School, and either I'm really missing something or just can't figure it all out. Sorry for being so lost!
The first test is if you see green stuff or murky water.
The second is to do the FAS-DPD test to check for CC. If you've got more than .5, you need to do it.
Third is if the pool loses more than 1 ppm FC overnight with no sun on it. You won't be able to do that without the FAS-DPD test, a FC level up to 5 or better, and sundown.

Not much need for the OCLT, FC, and CC
Are already at 0. Salt test with strip was
In between 3,000-3,500 optimal range I
Believe. I guess I just don't understand
having to test for chlorine with the salt
acting as chlorine or supposed to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With 0 CYA in the water and 1 ppm of FC, you actually have a lot of chlorination going on. Spend some time reading in Pool School and you will soon know more about how to care for a pool than most pool store employees. We are here to help you understand anything that you might run into. A little bit of your time invested at TFP will be the best investment you can make for your pool. It might seem over your head at the moment, but in no time it will seem so simple.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.