Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can't seem to get a balance

1. Back To Top    #1

can't seem to get a balance

Kind of new to actual pool ownership, been around them all my life. Just can't seem to get a handle on my water this year, any and all suggestions welcome!
    I am running the pump 8-10 hrs a day, and SWG for 6. After I turn off pump mostly at night, the next morning little white things are floating in the pool, turn on pump and they're gone.

FC - 1
    PH - 7.4
    TA-110
    CH-200
    Cya-0
    Copper - 0.2
    Salt (done with test strip) - 3,000

Thanks in advance!
    15' Celebration AGP, 5,310 gallons, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP superflow lx pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't seem to get a balance

Welcome!

The white stuff could just be pollen. Try using the search box for it and do some reading on past threads. Here's a head start. You might want to try using pollen as another term.

I see low FC, low CYA, and high copper in your results. Were they done with test strips?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper was done with test strip, all others with Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006.
    15' Celebration AGP, 5,310 gallons, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP superflow lx pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely raising the CYA will help the SWG maintain FC levels. Before you raise all the way up to the SWG recommended CYA levels you will want to verify whether you need to perform the shock process at a lower CYA level
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

And I would know whether or not I need to shock by doing what? I've read Pool School, and either I'm really missing something or just can't figure it all out. Sorry for being so lost!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by fireman3406
    And I would know whether or not I need to shock by doing what? I've read Pool School, and either I'm really missing something or just can't figure it all out. Sorry for being so lost!
    The first test is if you see green stuff or murky water.
    The second is to do the FAS-DPD test to check for CC. If you've got more than .5, you need to do it.
    Third is if the pool loses more than 1 ppm FC overnight with no sun on it. You won't be able to do that without the FAS-DPD test, a FC level up to 5 or better, and sundown.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Water is crystal clear and has been since fill up.

8. Back To Top    #8

So you need to still check the CC and then Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestions, will run these this evening and tonight and post results in the morning..

10. Back To Top    #10

Not much need for the OCLT, FC, and CC
    Are already at 0. Salt test with strip was
    In between 3,000-3,500 optimal range I
    Believe. I guess I just don't understand
    having to test for chlorine with the salt
    acting as chlorine or supposed to be.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is a link to help you understand your saltwater chlorine generator, pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators.

I suggest to read as many articles in Pool School that you can, category.php?c=getting_started.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The salt in SWG's does not act as chlorine. The salt is used to make chlorine.

pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Completely frustrated and feeling stupid! Ready
    To throw in the towel.......

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by fireman3406
    Completely frustrated and feeling stupid! Ready
    To throw in the towel.......
    But you have a K-2006, the pool calculator, and us!

Life is about to get good again. A couple weeks and you'll be in control and your pool will be so clear and sparkly that it will be the envy of all who see it.

15. Back To Top    #15

That's what bothers me the most, water
    Is very clear and sparkly!

16. Back To Top    #16

With 0 CYA in the water and 1 ppm of FC, you actually have a lot of chlorination going on. Spend some time reading in Pool School and you will soon know more about how to care for a pool than most pool store employees. We are here to help you understand anything that you might run into. A little bit of your time invested at TFP will be the best investment you can make for your pool. It might seem over your head at the moment, but in no time it will seem so simple.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process