CYA TOO HIGH!! HELP PLEASE

I've read to lower CYA that I need to drain the pool. What exactly does draining the pool do? I'm refilling with the same water supply that gave me the problem. After draining the pool some, then what??? Just fill er' up again or do something else? Here are my numbers

Water Temp/Time: 74/7:30pm
FC- 0 (I know, I went a couple of day and didn't add any bleach. Normally, I keep it around 3.0)
TC- 0
CC- 0 (of course)
PH- 7.6
TA- 160
CYA-unreadable, kit goes to 50 and no effect to the dot at all.

18' x 52 round AG Pool with 200lb sand filter.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!

Dave S.

CYA is an additive that makes chlorine resistant to sunlight. It does not occur naturally in water. It is found in most forms of chlorine. The CYA test clouds more quickly the more CYA you have, so it takes less liquid for high numbers. Your result seems to indicate you don't have any CYA at all.

Hi Dave and welcome :lol:

After getting some chlorine in the pool asap, I'd get the water tested from another source, perhaps your pool store, and post the full set of #'s.

Also, have your fill water tested as your TA looks way high.

On your CYA test, are you saying that the dot never disappeared?

What test kit are you using?

Replacing/draining the pool water is the only way to remove the CYA . (Not to say that some is not lost by backwash/splash out, etc. over time).

Here are two stickies for now:

"ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" by duraleigh: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953

"BBB" or, "What are all these pol chemicals?" by Waterbear: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=94

Also, when you have time, please list all your pool and equipment info in your signature. This will be most helpful in members giving better advice!

Hi, Dave,

Welcome. Confirming the above posts, your test results indicate 0 CYA...not too much. CYA has to be added to your pool and, once there, typically does not go away.
I'm refilling with the same water supply that gave me the problem.
You do not tell us what the problem is. Give us a litle more info and we'll all help get you fixed up.

Thanks for the help!!!. I don't what my mind was thinking. My brain did a data dump concerning my CYA level. I'll get some stablizer tonight.

Now for my TA. I used muriactic acid to get my PH in range and it dropped my TA as well. However, I need to get it lower. What can I use to lower the TA and not effect the PH. OR--do I use muriatic acid to lower the TA then use the baking soda to raise the PH?

Thanks again!!!
Dave S.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.