Intex 26x52..SO confused!

May 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi! Pool newbie here! The great part..we bought a pool! :-D The bad part, I am totally confused on the chemical v/s saltwater part. We would like to go saltwater. But as I've began reading here on the forum, I've noticed I can get the Krystal Clear Saltwater System from Intex. But I'm taking it that's not all I need. I've also noticed that most people say the pump/filter that comes with Intex isn't strong enough to do the job properly. If we invest in the Intex saltwater system, what else should we buy along with that? I am really getting confused and my brain is starting to go fuzzy just trying to deal with all this. (I probably don't have this in the right board, pardon me please, I'll try to get better as we go along!)

No water yet. We are going to have to do ground work first to level out since we are on a slope in the backyard. I was trying to figure out what we would need to get a saltwater system up and running when we actually get the pool up. That way if I have to order something, hopefully it would be here by the time we are done. I am probably getting way ahead of myself, I just like to be prepared.

A saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool. The difference is you add chlorine manually in anormal pool and the SWG adds it for you.

Consider passing on the SWG for now but ask the installer to leave space in the sytem so you could add it later....that'll be easy to do.

If you want to get ahead of the game, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Be prepared to manage your pool water before it ever goes in the pool and you will enjoy the pool immensely. Fall behind on the chemistry and let it get away from you, and you will resent the pool.

We're doing set-up ourselves. So that was why I was asking here because we don't have anyone else to ask. And I tried to read about all the chemicals in the Pool School part and I think I confused myself even more! I think we've bit off more than we can chew here :?

Keep reading Pool School until you "get it" and ask questions as they come up.

Many people like the 2650 pump and sand filter combo for the Intex as a massive upgrade from the small cartridge filters.

tookiesmom07 said:
We're doing set-up ourselves. So that was why I was asking here because we don't have anyone else to ask. And I tried to read about all the chemicals in the Pool School part and I think I confused myself even more! I think we've bit off more than we can chew here :?

I felt just like you when I found this site last Fall and started reading Pool School. I suggest reading the complete table of contents MULTIPLE times...it WILL sink in. :) And the testing is actually pretty fun...the test kit TF100 comes with detailed instructions on a laminated card for each test and I am so happy (I mean my husband) with how much $$ I'm saving on pool store chems vs what I can buy in my local grocery store. YOU CAN DO IT! :-D

About that 2650 pump and filter upgrade...is it big enough for the 26x52? I'm reading reviews and it seems people used that one for ones not quiet as big as ours will be. Though this seems to be headed in the direction we would like to take.

And a quick note, thank you for the welcomes to the forum. I'm sure I will be here ALOT in the next few weeks for sure!

Don't get discouraged. It sounds like a confusing mess with all the information to absorb the first few times through pool school for almost everyone, but then it starts to click and after some time, it will seem simple! If you want to make things easier on startup you can skip the saltwater stuff until maybe next year.

Also do a search on installing the intex ultra frame (i'm assuming that's what you have) for some great tips.

If you are still unsure on treating the water, get a TF-100 test kit which you will need anyway, do a full test on the water before you fill the pool, post the results here and people will tell you everything you need to do to get the chemistry correct! You came to the right place for all the help you need!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is coming from a guy who was in the same predicament you are in, but a year ago. I have both the Intex 26x52 (I think) and the sand filter that came with it, plus the saltwater system that we purchased separately to go salt:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-54611EG-Kry ... intex+salt

If I could do it all over again, I'd not purchase the above. The cartridge filter from Intex was just a pain, and my water was always ugly. It wasn't until I used the sand filter that I first got my water cleaned up (well water).

That being said, you could go with:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-54601EG-Kry ... intex+salt

And put it in line with the pump/filter you receive with the pool, so long as it is the sand one. Elsewise, if you don't for some reason have a pump or filter, I'd give this guy some serious thought:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56681EG-Fil ... intex+salt

Long story short, I linked my two systems together and removed the cartridge filter. But eventually, my SWG died (at least I assume it did because it always said low salt despite adding bag after bag after bag). If I could do it all over again, I'd probably skip the SWG to start, and just get comfortable with water chemistry using the info provided here.

Once I was comfortable, I would look at a better grade of product from Hayward maybe. But the idea is, the SWG ups your chlorine level by using the saltwater and electricity to create chlorine. You'll still need to monitor chlorine, and perhaps maybe add some during really sunny days, but the amount you go through will be far less than someone who does not use a SWG.

For me, I am going back to what came with the pool, and adding liquid chlorine to maintain sanity(?). When my SWG died, I wasn't doing a good job of keeping track of chemistry, and the water went way down hill, very quick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.